Can I have my master cylinder bored to 5/8\"??

More
17 Aug 2007 08:39 #164439 by patmann
I searched and couldn't find any info on this here.
So I'm asking.
I'm wondering about having my standard front brake 1/2" master cylinder bored to a 5/8". I know it can be done, I've seen a guy on eBay who does it, then sells them for a pretty penny.
But I would like to make SURE I can have it done BEFORE I start tearing into my one and only master cylinder, if you know what I mean Vern.
On the Z1/Z900 owners website they say to use the workshop manual for wear limit specs for boring. Then to just install a 5/8" rebuild kit. Does that sound right??
Wireman had said he was going to send me a 1/2" that needed rebuilding about the time he split the scene, ( dang I miss him and all his info :( ).
Anyone have any advice ??
Thanks, Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2007 08:47 #164441 by galaxian
Patmann, why not just buy one? The 5/8 MC are a dime a dozen and the modern ones will not need to be rebuilt and come with an adjustable lever to boot.
The amount of work required to do what you are going to do vs buying a working one...your call.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
17 Aug 2007 08:53 #164442 by patmann
I'd like to try and keep the old gal as close to original as I can, as I'm going to take her back to her glory days look. Thus keep the round master cylinder.
On my KZ, I don't care as that is going to be a go fast stop fast project.
But thanks for the advice! Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
17 Aug 2007 09:14 #164446 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Can I have my master cylinder bored to 5/8\"??
FWIW, wireman is back with a new name: PLUMMEN.
Id say shoot him a PM to see if he can still help you out. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
17 Aug 2007 09:48 #164452 by loudhvx
Are you converting to dual discs? The 5/8 bore will require more hand force to get the same stopping power on a single caliper.

More
17 Aug 2007 10:44 #164458 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Can I have my master cylinder bored to 5/8\"??
Patmann, ive seen the round master cylinder replacements in dennis kirk. Just a thought

More
17 Aug 2007 11:17 #164461 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Can I have my master cylinder bored to 5/8
loudhvx wrote:

Are you converting to dual discs? The 5/8 bore will require more hand force to get the same stopping power on a single caliper.

Yep. I have everything I need now. I just want to make sure I don't have a brake lever pulling into the handlebar when I go to stop:unsure: the first time I go for a ride, I don't want too wild of a ride.
Several people have said a 5/8" is not needed with the dual brakes. But I prefer to upgrade IF I can. Since my master cylinder leaks one day then not for weeks on end:S I need to rebuild it anyway. And if I can have a local shop bore it to the 5/8" for a reasonable fee...
Keep em' coming guys;)
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
17 Aug 2007 11:35 #164462 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Can I have my master cylinder bored to 5/8
yes im here sidetracked as usual,pm me your adress again and ill send you a core you can rebuild ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.