• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
14 Aug 2007 19:52 #163964 by Grantl
Seat pan wears hole in gas tank. was created by Grantl
Hi folks,
this weekend I found out that my seat pan has worn a small hole in the bottom right of my gas tank. very inconvenient since it was discovered 45 mins before I was to meet LTDrider for our ride to breakfast in Pasadena.
My question is can I fix the pinhole with something like JB Weld or should I have the hole brazed or soldered?
I really don't want to mess up the original paintwork on the tank by brazing--plus I'm basically lazy so I'm leaning toward the quick fix.
Can anyone with experience with tank leaks explain how they resolved their issue.
Thanks,
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2007 22:15 #163998 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
A pic would really help,Grant.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Aug 2007 06:16 #164033 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
:woohoo: Stay away from the tank with flames or you'll have a faceful of gas tank!!!! I have used some epoxy type repair kit on my Challenger tank, can't remember what it was called, but it's been working for 15 years now.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
15 Aug 2007 07:08 #164038 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
If you do use an epoxy based patch,have one of the
alcohol proof cream tank liners put in afterwards.
A good wire welder could possibly fix your tank with
minimal heat damage.Wash out the tank with water and
fill 9/10 full with water.Position the hole at the
top where the airpocket is,prep and weld.

More
16 Aug 2007 11:05 #164262 by jdburke
Replied by jdburke on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
JB Weld should work fine, especially for a short term, low heat fix. I've used the quick set stuff and found that it's a bit nicer to work with since it sets in aout 4 minutes and doesn't run all over creation like the regular JB. Just make sure the surface is clean and that you've corrected the seat problem when you put the tank back on. (I'd also let it cure overnight before throwing the gasoline back in.)

John

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

More
19 Aug 2007 13:57 #164882 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
I have made quick temporary repairs to gas tanks by cutting a small rubber washer from an old inner tube or tire sidewall and then put a small pan head screw with washer thru it then screw it into the hole.any 2 part epoxy should patch it or JB does a good job just make sure the surface is clean as mentioned earlier.

• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
19 Aug 2007 15:31 #164906 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
Actually folks,
I made the repair using a Permatex Gas Tank/Radiator Repair Kit Item #80884 GTR-1. (Price $4.99 at Autozone)
The kit is an epoxy stick that resembles a black licorice stick that has a white core. To use it you cut a hunk off the end of the stick and knead it with your fingers until the black outer section blends with the white section until you have a dark grey puttylike blob.
I had previously sanded and acetone treated the area of the tank where the patch would mount.
Once ready, I pushed the putty into the groove worn by the seatpan and smoothed it down so that the entine groove was covered and a very slight buildup formed a mushroomhead to cover the area. It seemed that the patch set up within an hour or two but I left it set for a full 24 hrs just to be sure.
Today, I took channel locks and bent up the corners of the seat pan so that they will not contact the tank at all. I remounted the tank, filled it and checked for leaks. With none apparent, I took the bike for a 20 mile shakedown and have to say that this repair looks to be very successful.
Thanks to all for their helpful advice,
Grant
:) :) :)

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
19 Aug 2007 21:32 #165017 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
I just had the same problem a couple weeks back. Fixed it with JB weld

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
20 Aug 2007 03:19 #165058 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Seat pan wears hole in gas tank.
i almost incountered the same problem, i put some rubber between the tank and the seat.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!