master link

More
11 Aug 2007 20:15 #163295 by arobsum
master link was created by arobsum
i am trying to put a new rear tire on my kz900, and i cannot get this stupid master link apart! i tried a screwdriver, pliers, hammer, small wedge inside the link, vise grips...etc. i even tried soaking it in wd-40. nothing. anyone know of a good way to use without destroying the link?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2007 21:06 #163303 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic master link
Actually, I can't remember having to take the chain apart to change a tire, at least, not on a 650. Once you get the axle out it's easy to just slip the chain off the sprocket. Maybe the 900 comes apart differently. But, it's not a good idea to reuse an old clip like that, if it is coming off that hard and you have had that much trouble you should replace it. And it should be from the original chain manufacturer so it matches the chain.
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
11 Aug 2007 21:07 #163304 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic master link
did you put the flat end of a screwdriver against the open end of link and try smacking it?if you can get it to move just a little by doing that you might be able to wedge something between closed end of link and pin to get it off rest of way.just be carefull it doesnt fly off and hit something including you;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Aug 2007 06:20 #163346 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic master link
The master link has a plate that pressed over the pins. I used the small, thin blade on my Swiss Army pocket knife, and was able to slowly work it under the plate. Just a little at a time, but then I could get a gap big enough for a thin, flat tip screw driver. Then I could get some leverage on it, and pry the plate off the pins.
I used vice grips to install the new link. Squeeze it down good.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
12 Aug 2007 06:43 #163349 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic master link
well, i put a 4 into 2 exhaust system off of a police bike on my 900. i cannot get the axle bolt out without taking the exhaust off. i was hoping to slip the tire out of the back of the swingarm. to do that, i have to break the chain at the masterlink. i've tried a thin screwdriver, a knife, a bigger screwdriver with a hammer...etc. nothing. do you think the pins have spread due to stretching?

More
12 Aug 2007 08:18 #163360 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic master link
arobsum wrote:

well, i put a 4 into 2 exhaust system off of a police bike on my 900. i cannot get the axle bolt out without taking the exhaust off. i was hoping to slip the tire out of the back of the swingarm. to do that, i have to break the chain at the masterlink. i've tried a thin screwdriver, a knife, a bigger screwdriver with a hammer...etc. nothing. do you think the pins have spread due to stretching?

Suppose already tried generously loosening axle bolt, setting chain adjuster stops to loosest possible position, kicking backside of tire toward front to gain maximum chain slack, then attempt to slip chain over sprocket. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2007 08:21 #163361 by arobsum
Patton wrote:

arobsum wrote:

Suppose already tried generously loosening axle bolt, setting chain adjuster stops to loosest possible position, kicking backside of tire toward front to gain maximum chain slack, then attempt to slip chain over sprocket. :)

yes sir....first thing i did. ;)

More
12 Aug 2007 08:29 #163367 by arobsum
i have another link laying around somewhere...guess i could cut this thing off and be done with it. :whistle: :laugh: :) no need wasting a lot of time on the little things.

More
14 Aug 2007 11:24 #163835 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic master link
Took my chain off the other day to clean & lube. Discovered the pins of the masterlink were badly worn. Tried to buy a new master link at two local bike shops but neither had a 630.

Got a 630 masterlink THREE (3) pack at TSC for $ 3.23 + tax.

More
14 Aug 2007 19:05 #163945 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic master link
arobsum wrote:

well, i put a 4 into 2 exhaust system off of a police bike on my 900. i cannot get the axle bolt out without taking the exhaust off....

Unfamiliar with the police bike exhaust system, but wondering whether the muffler could be removed from the header pipes on the axle nut side.

Or would it be feasible to just remove one pair of headers?

Have a good easy foolproof technique for reinstalling headers, if you're interested. :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
14 Aug 2007 19:37 #163957 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic master link
Are you quite sure about sliding the tire all the way forward? I've never had to pull the axle bolt on my 650, and in fact the owners manual says to pull the chain adjuster stops out, kick the tire forward and work the chain off. You do have to get it started then roll it off though. Do you have something limiting your travel?

If you can get another masterlink, cutting the clip with a cutoff wheel on a dremel is pretty straight forward if you're careful not to get into the chain.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
14 Aug 2007 21:41 #163994 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic master link
If all these good ideas don't work you may have to take the shocks loose and either drop the swingarm or jack up the wheel so the axle is above the exhaust or below, whatever works. Don't play with the masterlink, leave it be.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.