Gone \"Cafe\"

More
04 Aug 2007 18:14 #161759 by Theophilus
Gone \"Cafe\" was created by Theophilus
So I've taken the bull-horn handlebars off my KZ550 LTD and put on a drag style bar. My cables are bowed out and my brake line has a loop in it.

It can't last long this way, so, what replacement cables (clutch, throttle, brake line) should I look for? GPZ? Also, there isn't room for my turn signals anymore, any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2007 19:31 #161766 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
The trick on Z-1 900 conversions was to use Z1R cables as they are shorter...don't know if that helps you or not? I know a lot of KZ parts swap...do you have anyone who you can compare cable attachments with?

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
04 Aug 2007 19:50 #161775 by Kevin65
Replied by Kevin65 on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
I did the same wih mine, I put the turn signals onto the headlight bracket by removing the reflector and drillng one extra hole and installing without the part that goes around the handlebar. There is a half moon hole if you look closely, but it looks all right if you don't look too hard. I tried to take a picture, but the batteries are dead. If you would like one let me know.

More
05 Aug 2007 05:21 #161804 by Theophilus
Replied by Theophilus on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
Hey, that would work, I stuck the turn signals on the windscreen brackets. They at least seem to stay put.

But the cables are the really worrysome issue.

More
05 Aug 2007 06:57 #161837 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
You can re-angle the brake line from the MC and route the throttle and other cables properly so there isn't much of a bow, and things still work perfectly.

I'll snap a pic of my setup for you later today.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
05 Aug 2007 10:53 #161869 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Gone "Cafe"
Give the folks at Motionpro cables a call (650-594-9600), they can custom make cables for your bike at whatever length you need.
I just ordered some the other day for my ZN since I installed longer h-bars, and they only ran me $30 each (+ shipping & tax).
The guy I spoke with said it takes them about 5~7 days (possibly sooner, depending on their order back-log) to fill a custom cable order, and then a couple of days shipping time for them to get to the customer.

If you don't have, or don't want to use a credit card to place a phone order, they also accept bank debit cards with the Visa or MC logo. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/08/05 13:56

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Aug 2007 13:30 #161898 by Theophilus
Replied by Theophilus on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
Alright, well I got the throttle to stop sticking, although it was nice to have cruise control this morning...

All the cables are pretty OK, easy play and not too much looping. They should be fine until I can afford the propper length cables. Thanks for the source, Rice.

I've got my turn signals tucked in real close to the side of the headlight, that looks about as good as it can. I used the same mounting hardwear that I used for the windscreen that I removed.

The first good turn reminded me to take off my highway footpegs.

Has anyone seen a real small fly screen. I don't dig those universal cafe fairings. I just want something to cover the front of my gauges.

This was a good easy weekend project. I also can go back to the old setup this winter.

More
05 Aug 2007 14:10 #161909 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Gone \"Cafe\"
Look into Buell screens. ;)

More
05 Aug 2007 15:35 #161917 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Gone "Cafe"
I've got a pic of my bike with a National Cycle flyscreen on it.. you can get a few different styles for around $75. It's definitely worth it..nice polycarbonate, and great finish on it.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...,6/id,135219/#135219

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/08/05 18:37

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4