Shock & Forks

More
04 Aug 2007 12:55 #161715 by TkdFav
Shock & Forks was created by TkdFav
Hey,
I'm new to kz's and I've never had two rear shocks. I was wondering What the adjustments are 1-4 Which on is harder and softer, I really can't tell. And how does the cam adjuster on the bottom work, Like I said I'm very new to this style.

Another question: I'm pretty sure my forks are low on fluid, even if they aren't my bike sat for 4 or 5 years, so I want to change the oil, and advice would be help full. Also would one leg having less oil then the other make the handle bars off center while I'm riding, or would that be more with the tire. I have to have the handle bars turned slightly to the right to go straight. It isn't too bad, but i don't want it to turn into something major.

Thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Aug 2007 13:18 #161720 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Shock & Forks
"1" is usually the softest setting and "4" the stiffest.

If you don't have a service manual yet (preferably the factory offered one), I'd highly suggest getting one as it will list specs such as recommended fork oil weight and capacity/level.
But if you don't have one yet, you can check under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of this page and you'll see a "Filebase" listing, where specs for a lot of KZ's are posted there. Your bike's specs just might be listed among them. :)

If you need to turn the bars slightly to either side to keep the bike heading straight, low fork oil (or lack of) in one side shouldn't cause that.
It could be that the bars, forks and/or fork clamps are slightly bent, or things aren't quite lined up right on the front end.
The front tire could also been worn more on one side and causing this too, but it's highly unlikely.
It could even be that one of the rear shocks is completely opposite of the other as far as adjustment goes, or one of the springs being shot and not providing equal support.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.