Can someone help me with a fork oil spec?

More
27 Jul 2007 16:48 #160148 by brich
Hey all,

I have forks off a 76 kz900 LTD and was wondering what the spec was on how many cc's of oil to put in the forks?

I have my 75 z1 manual but I know my LTD forks are different. Was wondering if the amount of fork oil they took was different. Would hate to blow out my seals by overfilling.

Also my z1 calls for 10W fork oil, smae with the LTD forks?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2007 17:39 #160162 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Can someone help me with a fork oil spec?
FSM for 1996KZ900B1LTD says 192 cc in eack fork, using SAE 10W, non-detergent. But does not show oil level distance from top of tube. :angry:

FSM for 1996KZ900A (standard model) says 170 -178 cc (or 5.7 - 6.0 oz) SAE 10W, non-detergent [Oil level from top of tube @ 426mm or 16.7 inches].

Distance from top of tube is nice to know when refilling because of doubt as to amount of old oil remaining after draining. Am uncertain about whether this distance is same for both models, but guessing best to allow draining overnight for the LTD if time permits to help assure most complete drainage.

Where LTD forks have been torn down and reassembled, would add 192 cc, and then carefully measure and keep a written record for future reference of the oil level distance from top of tube. (I did this but can't locate the memo :S -- maybe someone else has the distance measurement.)

Believe the distance measurement is with the spring in place inside the fork and front wheel suspended off the ground so forks are at maximum extension.

Still looking for my notes. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Jul 2007 18:20 #160168 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Can someone help me with a fork oil spec?
Thanks Patton!! Your awesome bro! Got them off the bike so I will just turn them upside down and let them drain overnight as you suggest. Thanks for that tip cause I probably wouldn't have thought to do that.

It amazes me how these forks all seem so intetchangable between these bikes yet have such subtle differences. My z1 forks have new seals, progressive springs, fork boots, billet reflector covers (cost me $50) and top caps ... it was all a waste of money cause I had to swap them out to set up my dual disk with the LTD parts. :( :pinch: :laugh:
Tried putting the progrssive springs in the LTD forks to salvage some new stuff, but can't get the cap down to screw it in. I assume then they don't belong there cause i can get them back in the z1's forks easily.

Guess I can always throw them up on the KZ Classifieds and/or eBay.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
27 Jul 2007 18:49 #160177 by Patton
For reference --

Fork spring free length per FSM's:

1973 Z1 = 495.5mm (service limit = 485mm)

74-75 Z1 = 505mm (sl = 495.5mm)

76 KZ900 = 465mm (sl = 455mm)

Strangely, the forks on 76KZ900-A (standard model) and 76KZ900-B1 (LTD model) are supposedly the same, yet FSM's show 192cc oil for LTD and 170-178cc for standard model.

Have Progressive's on both my Kaws, but am uncertain as to whether either are designed with different lengths than OEM. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/07/27 21:53

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Jul 2007 18:58 #160178 by Patton
And believe it's acceptable to have slightly less oil in the forks (don't overfill) so long as the levels are equal. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Jul 2007 19:24 #160187 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Can someone help me with a fork oil spec?
Thanks again Patton! This is great info and i wrote it down in my manual. That fork spring free length explains why that new spring wouldn't fit. :)

LOL .. speaking of slightly less oil in your forks check out my last post .. "A Total Outrage! What would you do??"

A local delaership totally screwed me I just found out. Anger levels are down now but tomorrow i will be sure to raise them to the appropriate level when i go back there for my money back.

Thanks again for the info my friend!! I got them upside down in the garage draining right now.

- brian