Replacing brake lines

More
26 Jul 2007 03:14 #159739 by EsaPro
Replacing brake lines was created by EsaPro
I have decided to replace my brake lines, and have been looking at Russell and Goodridge parts over at DK and BB, as well as the manufacturers sites. Not ever having done this kind of "build it yourself" thing on brakes, it would appear one is to get universal lines of the approximate length, then banjo adapter fittings, and bolts / washers / etc. I have measured my lines from the point where the banjo fitting starts on each end, figuring the new adapter fittings are about the same length, if not a tad longer.

Just wondering, before I drop what looks to be about $150, if this is everything? Is there any other parts, such as washers for the adapter fittings? It appears that the new adapter fittings simply screw into the new lines, correct? Does that give enough seal without some type of washer or sealer?

I would hate to make the big order thinking I got everything I need, then find I am missing some silly little piece that is a show stopper.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 04:00 #159746 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Replacing brake lines
The fittings you are talking about are called "flared" fittings, these are 37° seat fittings and require no tape or other type of sealant to make a seal. Make sure with the banjo fittings you use two washers, the Goodridge fittings will come with 2 copper washers. Most stock brake lines use steel washers but the copper ones will work fine. I am assuming you are buying the line and the fittings separetly? and making up your own? If so, be very careful cutting the SS line, wrap tape around the spot you are cutting, this will keep the braids from flaring out and make the job of attaching the end fittings much easier.
If you are interested in buying SS line, I have a 300 foot spool of 3/16", I sell this at $2 per foot and I can custom cut the lines to any length you want.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Jul 2007 04:48 #159750 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Replacing brake lines
EsaPro wrote:

I have decided to replace my brake lines.....

Just wondering, before I drop what looks to be about $150, if this is everything? Is there any other parts, such as washers for the adapter fittings? It appears that the new adapter fittings simply screw into the new lines, correct? Does that give enough seal without some type of washer or sealer? .....

If you are ordering pre-made lines, measure them from total end to total end. If you are ordering the parts, you get all the stuff you need for the banjos included with the set.

You need "crush" washers for wach side of the banjo fitting. So, 2 washers per fitting. Since you have a 750 twin, that's 2 lines (with 2 fittings each), for 8 total washers.

You can use your existing bolts, or get replacements. I use my existing ones.

Once the crush washers crush, the seal is perfect.

By the way, for what it's worth, when I did the build-it-yourself brakeline on the front of my twin, here's my shopping list from "Earl's Brake Line Components" from:
www.mgcycle.com/brakelines.html

- 8 Ccopper crush washers, $0.75 each = $6
- 2 #600503 30 degree adjustable banjo fitting - 2 x $16.50 = $33
- 1 #600803 30 degree non-adjustable banjo fitting - $12.25
- 1 #600703 straight non-adjustable banjo fitting - $10.50
- 3ft #6000031 clear plastic covered braided stainless steel brake line - 3 x $7.75 per foot = 23.25
....Total = $85

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Jul 2007 05:35 - 03 Dec 2008 10:00 #159762 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:00 by JMKZHI.

More
26 Jul 2007 19:43 #159960 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Replacing brake lines
The Goodridge hoses I was looking at come in pre-cut lengths, and seem to have a generic fitting on the ends for the banjo fittings. Here is a representative line over at Bike Bandit . I would prefer the black also, but BB shows that as being NOT DOT approved. That bugs me, but does it really make a difference? I really do not want to cut my own lines, either. As I read here once - "Won't go? No problem! Won't stop? BIG problem!"

BT - 2 lines *for the front*, plus the one in back, right? :whistle: When I added up my parts list I came up with 12 washers - which ticked me off about Russell parts - no washers, and they come in a bag of 10. Dandy. I want to replace the bolts, as most of mine are rusty, as are the fittings.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
27 Jul 2007 04:19 #160010 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Replacing brake lines
EsaPro wrote:

...I really do not want to cut my own lines, either...

I was concerned before I did it, too. But, once I got into the project, it turns out is was relatively easy and nearly impossible to screw up. I just wrapped the spot where I was to cut in duct tape, mark the spot, and cut with a hacksaw. Then, take a lot of care not to poke your fingers. Actually, the finger-poking is the worst part.

BT - 2 lines *for the front*, plus the one in back, right? :whistle: When I added up my parts list I came up with 12 washers - which ticked me off about Russell parts - no washers, and they come in a bag of 10. Dandy. I want to replace the bolts, as most of mine are rusty, as are the fittings.

I'm sorry. To clarify, my list above was for FRONT ONLY. That's all I did on my bike. I know this may sound strange, but I don't want my back brake to be any better! And believe me, you'll notice the difference with the steel lines...

Also, next time I think I want to try a brake lines "kit" (all-inclusive) from www.helusa.com/

For instance, here's the one for the KZ400:
helusa.worldispnetwork.com/secure/kawasaki/HEL-2F-0R.htm

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/07/27 07:25

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
27 Jul 2007 06:07 - 03 Dec 2008 10:02 #160031 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:02 by JMKZHI.