Chain life, stretching and adjustment

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
24 Jul 2007 14:54 #159288 by Qdude
I put a new chain and sprockets on a while back.

Assuming that the adjustments (as per the manual) are being done correctly, it seems that the chain loosens and needs adjustment weekly. Is this normal?

What is normal for a new chain as far as mileage, time and whatnot.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2007 15:24 #159294 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain life, stretching and adjustment
Weekly is not normal unless you're driving like 1,000 miles or more per week. I got 36,000 miles on my original chain before replacing it & sprockets. New chain has over 8,000 miles with no noticeable stretch to it and no visible wear to sprockets. Original and replacement chains are O-Ring type. I use Maxima Chain Wax about every 400 - 500 miles or so. Be sure not to over tighten the chain. At mid-point on the bottom span of the chain, I measure the distance between how far I can pull the chain up and down using moderate pressure. I set this play at 1". I ride my bike pretty hard sometimes, but I don't smoke the tire or try to pull wheelies. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Jul 2007 15:40 #159301 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Chain life, stretching and adjustment
If it's an o-ring chain, lots and lots of mileage.

If it's a non-o-ring chain, keep it clean and lubed, and maybe you will get 8,000 miles out of it.

And you will be adjusting it all the time.

They really aren't designed for the shock loading motorcycles generate.

And then when you park for the night, the engine transfers heat to a part of the chain, so that part stays expanded, while the rest of the chain cools.

Someone else will come along in a bit with another opinion.

:lol:

More
24 Jul 2007 16:13 #159308 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain life, stretching and adjustment
On a new chain, you may need a couple adjustments till it gets all broken in. I just put new chain and sprockets on mine and think I have the record that I know of at least with close to 59,000 on the original oring chain on a KZ650. In about 1000 miles now on the new chain, I've adjusted it once, about 1/2 turn of the adjustments. It all depends how you are lubing the new chain to how long it will last and how frequent adjustments. The wrong lube, or no lube at all can and will lead to quick wear. By the sound of it maybe you are not lubing, or using PJ1 lube? I've written my review here before of PJ1 and won't repeat, but suffice to say don't use it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Jul 2007 05:50 - 03 Dec 2008 10:01 #160030 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:01 by JMKZHI.

More
27 Jul 2007 06:19 #160036 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Chain life, stretching and adjustment
Do you have stops for your back rim so the rim doesnt walk on the swing arm?

More
27 Jul 2007 07:26 #160047 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain life, stretching and adjustment
JMKZHI wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

... or using PJ1 lube? I've written my review here before of PJ1 and won't repeat, but suffice to say don't use it.

Ron, is the WhiteLightning available anywhere nowadays? Is it BG WhiteLightning? JMK.

I got it at Napa. They probably don't have it in the store, but can order it. I guess only BG authorized dealers can sell it. Used to be at any motorcycle shop in the world, but not anymore for some reason. It's the only chain lube I would ever use.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.