Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Loose bushing on shock replacement 04 Jan 2006 06:19 #15915

• waterman
  • waterman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I've already gone back through a lot of previous entries and done several searches to find something definitive on this question.

I'm replacing the shocks on my 1000 with Sporty shocks and while the top bushing is very snug (although I haven't been able to get it in yet, I will), the bottom bushing is a very loose fit. It stays put, but it is far from snug. Did any one else encounter this too? Any problems associated with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Loose bushing on shock replacement 04 Jan 2006 06:23 #15917

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If the bushings are loose, you will beat the snot out of the eye in the shock when you hit a bump. Call Progressive Suspension's customer desk and order a bushing kit. It contains a bunch of bushings as their shocks are essentially universal where changing bushings makes them fit the various applications. If you don't you can try and fab a bushing... you will need an aluminum sleeve that just fits into the eye and then drill it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Loose bushing on shock replacement 04 Jan 2006 07:48 #15926

• waterman
  • User
Has anyine tried to switch the metal sleeves and use the Harley's rubber? I'm just curious, I don't want to attepmt something that is futile.

Loose bushing on shock replacement 04 Jan 2006 11:32 #15968

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
That is what I tried to get across. The metal sleeves are called bushings. You can buy a bag full of different sized bushings from Progressive Suspension customer support. You then remove the current bushings and replace with the correct size (ID/OD).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Loose bushing on shock replacement 04 Jan 2006 12:02 #15976

• waterman
  • User
Thanks. I was considering the sleeve and the rubber as "the bushing", not the sleeve as the bushing in rubber. So, when I went back through the archives it was hard to discern whether everyone had used the two (sleeve and rubber) together in the Sparty or just the metal sleeve in the Harley rubber. I didn't even know if I could get them out without destroying something I was supposed to use. Caution told me to write in, rather than take the leap (and hanging in the air like Wylie Coyote) and then having to go in search of the very elusive old bike part.

• Page: