change stock bars to sbbars help getting grips off

More
22 Jul 2007 20:31 #158777 by bubba_d
i want to change the bars on my 650 to sb bars. already have bars but not sure how to get grips off the stock bars.

1977 kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2007 20:34 #158780 by Patton
Shot of compressed air between the bar and grip works for me. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Jul 2007 20:36 #158783 by bubba_d
that easy? had several people tell me to cut em and buy new?

1977 kz1000.

More
22 Jul 2007 21:11 #158794 by Patton
Keep the air pressure going and the grip should "expand" and come right off easily. Sometimes helps to block the grip end hole when air pressure is being applied between bar and flanged end of grip. Should take about 2 seconds.

If grips affixed with some kind of extra-strong glue, may have to cut them off or the part left after air pressure treatment. But regardless, first try the air pressure method.

Alternate poor choice plan B is using WD40 and carefully work a long slender blunt screwdriver in between and around inside of the grip and handlebar, without piercing the grip from the inside. Then clean well with carb cleaner or brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol before reassembly -- and also use the compressed air for quick easy reassembly. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/07/23 00:32

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
23 Jul 2007 18:50 #159038 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic change stock bars to sbbars help getting grips off
New grips are cheap enough.
But if you're intent on keeping the grips you have, try heating them with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the grip adhesive, THEN hit 'em with the air!
A while back I had installed new grips on the bars of my ZN, and shortly after that I decided to swap out the bars altogether. Using the above method to salavge the NEW grips worked like a charm for me. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
24 Jul 2007 10:19 #159215 by rtrider73
Like the other guys said:

Blow on them.:P

Compressed air is the trick. First saw the technique many moons ago in a bicycle shop.

no fuss no muss.

~R

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
24 Jul 2007 10:41 #159220 by jjdwoodman
Don't forget to lube em up with dish soap when you go back. makes em slip on like grease and then stick after a few hours.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
24 Jul 2007 14:34 #159279 by Patton
jjdwoodman wrote:

Don't forget to lube em up with dish soap when you go back. makes em slip on like grease and then stick after a few hours.

Or as rumor has it -- hair spray also works, especially "super hard-to-hold" :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Jul 2007 14:42 #159284 by RonKZ650
Luckily you only need to remove one grip as the throttle grip comes right off complete. The compressed air works usually, easier if you unbolt and move the switchgear from besides the grip first. I don't recommend putting grips on without using glue because they won't stick. Trust me on this. Arguable I guess as others do it and it works for them, but it has not worked for me once yet in 30+ years. Many times gluing them doesn't even work. You need the right kind of glue.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Jul 2007 15:23 #159293 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic change stock bars to sbbars help getting grips off
Dish soap was mentioned, as was hairspray.

Another trick is Windex.

To remove grips where compressed air is not available, I have used PBlaster with a nozzle to get them to slide off if you have time to let the solvent work. You have to use lots of brake clean afterwards to get rid of the PBlaster though. ..

:lol: