Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?

More
14 Jul 2007 14:04 #156815 by floridamba
Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones? was created by floridamba
I have an 82 KZ1000 LTD and am putting on new tires. I have a set of tubeless Dunlop 404's and know they work well on the bike as I put them on my 1980.

On this bike, the front rim has a very skinny hole for the valve - like you would use with an innertube. I know that there is a skinny tubeless valve made for this type of rim but don't have one. I bought a set of standard size valve stems for the wheels.

I have three options:
1) try and find the skinny tubeless valve stems next week when stores are open
2) put in a tube and run with tubes (I really, really want to stay tubeless)
3) drill out the mag wheel for the new size stem. The current size is .300" and the new valve stem styles are .403". I may have to tweak it to fit due to the narrower groove in the center of the rim.

Do you think it would hurt to drill it out for the new valve stem sizes? What would you do....WWKZRiderDO?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2007 20:09 #156862 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?
Certainly there must be an insomniac that can contribute...I'm going to look at my drill bit selection in the morning.

More
14 Jul 2007 22:45 #156884 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?
The skinny ones are hard to find??
I had a heck of a time finding a fat one (something like .457") when I was installing the Morris Mags on my 750 twin.

You can drill it to the larger size, just make sure there is enough room for the inner valve stem seal to seat after drilling it.

KD9JUR

More
15 Jul 2007 06:07 #156911 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?
Thanks for the response!

The ones I have are for car mag wheels and the shaft diameter is 0.403" at the threads. The rubber seal at the bottom is the same size or within a couple of thousand for a snug fit. The steel mushroom-base is the part that may need to have some metal removed, just enough for it to fit inside the groove, like where a rim band would go but doesnt as this is a mag.

I got these at Advanced Auto Parts - 2 for $7 with a rubber insert that will fit larger holes. I used the insert on my 1980 LTD 1000.. I was surprised these were not larger also.

thanks

More
15 Jul 2007 17:59 #157006 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?
I ended up using a valve stem from Advanced Auto as well, I ground down the base on one side until it would just barely clear.

KD9JUR

More
16 Jul 2007 02:50 #157075 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Tubeless Valve Stems - Skinny ones?
I use the automotive mag wheel type valve stem.readily available anywhere they sell after market wheels and accessories.(take your old one with you)