Bike wants to lean to the right while riding

More
14 Jul 2007 00:15 #156738 by toadson
After searching the forums for an answer, I've finally decided to make my own topic. I just bought a 79 KZ1000 LTD that needed a carb cleaning. After cleaning the carbs three times I got it to run right. On my first drive, I noticed that I wanted to push the handlebars left just a little bit.... it was very weird. It felt like the bike was pulling itself to the right. I had my cousin drive it and he too noticed the pulling. You can keep the bike from pulling, but if you let off of the handlebars it will lean hard to the right almost immediately. I thought maybe the rear tire needed aligned, because the guy before me said he had his chain break, and had the chain and sprockets replaced about 500 miles ago. It also got new tires about 500 miles ago, so I figured the rear wheel could be mis-aligned. After aligning it, the bike still pulled. I noticed that when the bike is sitting level, that the rear wheel was actually tilted to the right. My dad used a level on the front tire, and then on the rear, and of course the rear wheel was leaning towards the right. I read that the swingarm could actually be bent, so I removed it today. I think it may be an aftermarket swingarm, as it is chrome. It turns out that the swingarm had a one inch long crack on the bottom of the pivot axis (the part where the bolt goes through) on the right side. My theory was that the crack, when it had weight on it, would cause the rear wheel to lean. So I drilled a hole in the end of the crack, ground it out and welded it up. I didnt really check to see if the swingarm was bent, which I think was a mistake. I did sit it on a level surface, and when I had the pivot axis flat, one of the arms would be about 1/4" off of the ground. Upon further inspection though, it looked as if the welds on one side of the swingarm stuck out a little bit, and could cause it to sit unlevel. Again, I should have looked more into the issue, but assumed the crack was causing all my problems. After I reinstalled the swingarm and it didnt fix my problem, I jacked up the front end. My triple tree bearings are bad, because the bike acts like it wants to snap the handlebars straight. I dont think this is causing the bike to lean though, because the handlebars are straight while Im riding (obviously). Sorry for such a long post, but there is a lot of info and I would really like to solve this problem. I dont feel too safe while my bike is trying to pull me into the ditch, haha.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2007 01:04 #156739 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Bike wants to lean to the right while riding
id say pull the swingarm back off and make sure it is flat,also measure corner to corner to make sure its square.id also check the bearings in swingarm pivot and pivot area of frame for cracks.also check wheel bearings and alignment of both wheels.throw some tapered steering head bearings in there if you pull frontend apart and check front wheel bearings,oh yeah check rear shocks also;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
15 Jul 2007 23:55 #157071 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic Bike wants to lean to the right while riding
I went ahead and removed the bearings today. The races had a few small dents that you couldnt feel, so I went ahead and cleaned them all out, and packed them with new grease. You can just barely feel the notched spot in the steering now when its off the ground, and the bike no longer pulls to the right! Thanks for your suggestions- Im glad I can ride the bike without it throwing me in the ditch lol.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
16 Jul 2007 00:04 #157072 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Bike wants to lean to the right while riding
Welcome to the site. Let's see some pics of your bike.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.