Strange front tire wear

More
12 Jul 2007 06:33 #156341 by patmann
Strange front tire wear was created by patmann
OK ,I'm doing my dual front disc conversion, and I start looking at my two year old front tire. It has worn noticeably on the left side more than the right:blink: With some slight cupping in areas. This would be the same side as the factory single front brake disc. Could that be part of it??? The tire was mounted and balanced by a VERY GOOD bike shop. It's a Spitfire , so it's not cheap junk either. The bead looks even all around the rim.
I don't just take left turns ( I'm not a nascar driver )
I haven't noticed anything real strange while riding it...
So what gives???
Those damn rubber termites are always after the rear tire. But I have never worn out a front tire. Not in 35 years of riding. Well.. maybe once after replacing the back tire four or fives times first.
So what's up???
Or should I start only taking right turns?? :pinch:

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2007 06:49 #156346 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Strange front tire wear
One possibilty may be you rear wheel alignment. If it is off to the right you have to steer the front tire to the left and you probably wouldn't even realize it. Just a thought.
Ride safe

Have someone follow you down the road and see if you dog tracking.
Also, check you swing arm bearings for play, that could have the same effect if they are loose.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/07/12 09:58

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
12 Jul 2007 06:59 #156349 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Strange front tire wear
I was leaning towards something along those lines myself. I need to replace the "gooseneck" bearings.
And the swingarm needs looking into too I'm sure. They are the original ones from 1974:whistle: I had planned on doing them both this Winter. But it looks like I may move some of it up a bit..
Thanks for the words of wisdom!!!
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
12 Jul 2007 07:01 #156350 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Strange front tire wear
Maybe wheel bearings too?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
12 Jul 2007 07:38 #156363 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Strange front tire wear
Also a lot of roads are crowned towards the shoulder which could explain some of it and many front tires will naturally cup from using the front brake. Maybe nothing wrong.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Jul 2007 09:04 #156389 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Strange front tire wear
I agree with Ron. The left side wearing more than the right is fairly normal. I worked at a cycle shop for 5 1/2 years and it was common to see that.

Check the bearings anyway as its good maintainence.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
12 Jul 2007 10:03 #156406 by patmann
I know the wheel bearings are good, I just checked them when I was swapping rotors around, as did my anal Ski-doo mechanic buddy. And if they wern't perfect he would have told me, and told me and told me.
He's the kinda' guy that says " well do you want to tear it apart AGAIN in three years?? Might as well replace them now"
Thanks to all who have helped me ( again ) IF you can think of anything else.. let me know!

Now if I could only figure out why that right side brake is soooo tight on the disc... and that is without the line even hooked up !! So it has no pressure on it. I don't have the dual splitter yet ( I hope it gets here today !! )
I took it for a short ( one block down and back ) and it felt as if I had the front brake on on that side
:dry: The disc was even HOT !! So I pulled the caliper off , for now. Am I missing something ?? OR just plan stupid???:whistle:

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
12 Jul 2007 13:35 #156467 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Strange front tire wear
The brake is probably a stuck piston, but if you don't have a line hooked up to it and have it capped off with air in it, the the air will expand and apply the brake some as you ride it.
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
13 Jul 2007 07:15 #156595 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Strange front tire wear
They just had this question asked in Cycle World magaine and the tech guy said under inflation was the usual culprit for front wheel cupping and uneven wear. Of course, this guy is a guru and seldom right about other things but inflation may be an issue I guess.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jul 2007 08:04 #156606 by patmann
I have the lines on it, but I didn't have the splitter yet. So I don't think the air should be a problem..
I got it ( the caliper and right side mount) from Jeff @ Z1 after a long discussion, so I don't think it should be the caliper. But who knows.. parts are parts and things happen.
Thanks for the info.
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
13 Jul 2007 08:12 #156610 by patmann
wiredgeorge wrote:

They just had this question asked in Cycle World magaine and the tech guy said under inflation was the usual culprit for front wheel cupping and uneven wear. Of course, this guy is a guru and seldom right about other things but inflation may be an issue I guess.

I didn't even think to check that !!! I check it a couple times a season, but to be honest, I can't remember IF I checked lately:blush: :whistle:
Sometimes the easiest thing is the thing we overlook
;)
Thanks George and Milkman;)
I'll check the tire pressure as that's the original reason I posted. The brake problem.. I'll look into some more, and IF I can't figure it out.. ( best Arnold Swartzenegger voice ) I'LL BE BACK
Pat;)

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
13 Jul 2007 11:49 #156664 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Strange front tire wear
Some bikes, which are really hard on front tires like Valkyries, wear out the left side of the front tire first. I think it's a combination of riding on the right side of a crowned road way and the simple fact that while riding on the right side of the road a rider travels substantially more distance turning left than turning right. The Valkyrie groups are full threads about this problem. One bit of proof is that in Thailand, where they drive on the left side of the road, Valk owners complain about wiping off the right side of their front tires.

Weather this applies to your KZ is doubtful unless you ride really hard. It's more likely that underinflation is the culprit

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300