fork springs - another progressive upgrade

More
08 Jul 2007 20:25 #155558 by guavatone
I got the recomended progressive springs for my 83 KZ550-C4.

Old springs are 24" and new ones are 19". Does that sound right? I'll end up with 5" of PVC and some washers. It sounds like a huge difference to me.

Thanks in advance.
-charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2007 18:04 #155777 by guavatone
Replied by guavatone on topic fork springs - another progressive upgrade
After getting the wrong PVC pipe-1" I was thinking that machining from this place would be a better option:

www.emachineshop.com/

It would be a cheap part it is just that machining setyup is $150. Maybe jeff at z1 or other folks may be interested to help split the cost.

Anyone?

More
10 Jul 2007 01:42 #155854 by guavatone
I gues this will turn out to be a diary which is fine, but I am sure there are experienced folks that have opinions about this.

I ended up with 3/4" dia. PVC spacers at 6 1/8" lenth which puts them at about 1-1.5" of preload. Which may be too much.

Wow! the first ride was great and felt the front suspension doing what it should do -absorbing the bumps. Steering was much more controllable too. I am guessing long distance breaking will be better (no more running yellow lights for fear of locking up?)

The only thing is that big bumps and manholes I feel the front suspension bottom out. too much preload? too little spring? (new springs are 5" shorter)

Can someone comment on this? Maybe the stock springs sould be better with some spacers for preloading since there were no spacers before.

More
10 Jul 2007 07:55 #155907 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic fork springs - another progressive upgrade
I upgraded the fork springs in my Concours and went with Sonic springs - it was the same way, in this case 6.5" of pvc but they work great.

More
10 Jul 2007 13:23 #155990 by guavatone
Do you recall how much preload theer was? I am concerned about the hard bumps at high speed. Do you notice a bottoming out on hard bumps?

More
11 Jul 2007 12:11 #156173 by guavatone
Well, I took to the haighway and some of the hartsher bumbs ad high speed felt dangerous. I felt the front hit the bump and bottom and the wheel felt like it was all over the place.

My friend suggested puping some air in them. But I was thinking less preload.
-Anyone got an idea?

Post edited by: guavatone, at: 2007/07/11 15:13

More
11 Jul 2007 12:17 #156178 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic fork springs - another progressive upgrade
what weight oil are you running in the forks?? you could go thicker or higher viscosity before doing anything else. this would help with damping somewhat...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
11 Jul 2007 13:00 #156187 by guavatone
7.5 from the nke shop with a little 10W40 to top that off. maybe 3 parts 7.5 to 1 part 10. There is definitly oil on my forks from slight leakage though.

More
11 Jul 2007 13:12 #156194 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic fork springs - another progressive upgrade
The preload in the shocks is necessary to keep the springs from finding air inside the fork housing. I think about 1.5" of preload PVC is about right. The washers are there to keep contact between the springs and PVC from cutting up the PVC. I had a Vulcan I used shorter than stock springs on and cut the preload PVC down to about 1/2" to lower the bike. The bike road OK until I hit a bump and the springs extended... without the preload, there was a big KLUNK as the shocks opened to their max... I ended up putting longer preload spacers in even though it raised the bike a tad... Was going for the spiffy dropped look (I was younger and dumb).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jul 2007 13:13 #156195 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic fork springs - another progressive upgrade
The preload in the shocks is necessary to keep the springs from finding air inside the fork housing. I think about 1.5" of preload PVC is about right. The washers are there to keep contact between the springs and PVC from cutting up the PVC. I had a Vulcan I used shorter than stock springs on and cut the preload PVC down to about 1/2" to lower the bike. The bike road OK until I hit a bump and the springs extended... without the preload, there was a big KLUNK as the shocks opened to their max... I ended up putting longer preload spacers in even though it raised the bike a tad... Was going for the spiffy dropped look (I was younger and dumb). The 7 wt oil is a bit thin... depending on how much you weigh. I use a bit heavier oil in my shocks; generally 12W

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jul 2007 13:32 #156200 by guavatone
Thanks George it always makes me :) to see your comments on my post. I am 200-210 lbs. I actually didn't use the washers. MaybeI'll try 15W since i don't think I can find 12W. While I;m at it I may try to use smaller spacers with washers this time,