superbike bars

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 Jul 2007 12:04 #155138 by riverroad
superbike bars was created by riverroad
Hi ya'll, been a while since I've posted. Mostly because I bought me a Nissan Titan pickup and I've hardly ridden my bike at all. But I've been riding it lately, and thinking maybe I want to ditch the stock handlebar for a superbike bar or something along those lines.
Anybody know if I'll have to change my clutch and/or throttle cables if I do this swap? And maybe remember what lengths I'll need?
BTW, if you like blowing away Harleys with your KZ's, you oughta see what a Nissan Titan does to an F150. :evil:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2007 13:47 #155143 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic superbike bars
Not sure how much difference between the stock and superbike bars on your kz, but when I switched from my stock bars to clubmans on my 650 I was able to use the same cables even though there was a lot of extra length left, I just got creative with the routing.

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
06 Jul 2007 14:10 #155146 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic superbike bars
Shouldn't be a problem. I had to go with a set that was a little taller than the superbike bars because the superbike bars hit my tank when you turned the bars all the way to either side. The cables weren't a problem.

I ride a 76 kz900

These guys have great deals on bars.

store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html

More
06 Jul 2007 15:00 #155160 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic superbike bars
I had problems every time I put low bars on. Even using shorter cables, things never worked right at all. Brake master cylinder hitting the tach. Trying to routt the throttle cables so they wouldn't bind up. I fought this throttle cable problem on the KZ1000 for many years. Finally just cut the push cable to eliminate it because those low bars there was no way that I could ever get the push/pull to sync up. I had terminal cruise control, which was OK on the long rides, but a real pain in the butt in the city. Other guys have no problem, but trust me I tried long and hard to make them work on that KZ1000 with superbike bars. I've never had one bit of problem with the push/pull with stock bars and no problem after going back stock on the KZ1000.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Jul 2007 15:23 #155164 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic superbike bars
It's fairly simple, although as Ron pointed out, the master cylinder does come close to the guages. You want the cable used on the Z1R (KZ1000D) - that bike had fairly low bars and they are a good fit for the KZ1000's with lower bars.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
06 Jul 2007 15:23 #155165 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic superbike bars
It's fairly simple, although as Ron pointed out, the master cylinder does come close to the guages. You want the cable used on the Z1R (KZ1000D) - that bike had fairly low bars and they are a good fit for the KZ1000's with lower bars.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
06 Jul 2007 16:02 #155167 by brich
Replied by brich on topic superbike bars
I just went through this on my z1 and I got all new cables. I went from the stocks to the superbike bars off z1enterprises.com

My original clutch cable was like 50.5" (i think)

The Z1R cable Jeff mentioned is 49.5" long.
Motion Pro Clutch Cable (MP03-0030 on z1enterprises.com)
I used that with success on my success on my bike.

However, word on the street is MP03-0005 clutch cable for the KZ400 measures 48.5" and may work even better. I didn't find that out till I already ordered the Z1R cable. Plus the z1R cable has a cool steel spring like covering which helps down by me headers big time!

I ordered new push pull cables off kz900.com (sorry Jeff, i didn't see any on the site. I always order from you first buddy:) !!) I just went with new stock ones and played with the routing so I didn't have any binding or reving when i turn the bars. I don't know of any part #'s for shorter ones but I bet the Z1R's are probably shorter.

Another issue I ran into is my master cylinder is crammed right into my tach .. litteraly. I use full length cruiser type grips so they may be a bit longer then the stocks, not sure. I need to get me one of those remote res MC's but they cost a lot and Jeff doesn't seem to want to stock them .. hint ;)hint ;)Jeff ! :laugh: :whistle: :P

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 Jul 2007 16:21 #155172 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic superbike bars
Thanks guys, I'll mess with this next week. Right now though, I'm going for a RIDE!
Have a nice weekend!

More
06 Jul 2007 20:59 #155225 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic superbike bars
Man, I would love to be out riding right now. I'm in AZ. This time of year is comparable to most peoples winters. 115 degree heat isn't too much fun on the bike.
Of course it's entirely possible that I'm just a wuss.

Have fun.

More
06 Jul 2007 22:01 #155248 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic superbike bars
I always put on superbike bars. You can cut about 1/4 inch off the trottle tube and they will fit fine.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
15 Jul 2007 11:25 #156956 by edgeman68
Replied by edgeman68 on topic superbike bars
Yes Austin. It is entirely possible that your self appraisal my be right on the money.

More
15 Jul 2007 12:32 #156967 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic superbike bars
Same cables on mine, not supers though, got them from z1

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments: