Lester Mags

More
05 Jul 2007 13:10 #154888 by lmullisZ1
Lester Mags was created by lmullisZ1
Trying to sort out some Lester Mags for my 73 Z-1. Have searched this site and Googled many sites, but not finding much info. Are these type mags suitable for tubeless tire service? If so, what type tire valve should be used? I have the 18" & 19" front, and the 18" & 16" rear. The 18" rear is set up for rim locks, so quessing that it is a tube type. The 16" rear does not use rim locks and has a large hole (0.6150) for the tire valve. Some written information from the Lester Wheel Co. would be nice, if such a thing exists. None of the mags have the word "tubeless" on them. Any help will be appreciated, as I'm just about Googled out on this hunt for info.

Thanks, Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2007 13:54 #154897 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Lester Mags
I think all the mags that were able to be tubless were marked as so,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Jul 2007 19:56 #154972 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Lester Mags
Use tubes. And go with 19/18 set up. You can find them on ebay often. 18 rear drum is a little harder to find but be patient. Oh and be ready to shell out some coin for them. If you need more info on them u2u me. There is a member here with that set up.

More
06 Jul 2007 16:46 #155174 by stever
Replied by stever on topic Lester Mags
I have a pair of Lester mags that I am going to paint/ polish up for my z1a.
However I am not 100% sure they are the right ones and I would be very gratefull if anyone who does run them could tell me what the width of them is measured across the outside of the rim.
When we used these mags back in the 1980s we allways used tubes on them.

More
07 Jul 2007 04:59 #155274 by lmullisZ1
Replied by lmullisZ1 on topic Lester Mags
Found this link to a Lester Wheel Catalog kawtriple.com/mraxl/
Talked with Jim from Redline, he knows a lot about the Lester's. Slowly getting up to speed on these mags.

Thanks for the help, u2u to arai60 Larry

More
10 Jul 2007 15:45 #156008 by stever
hey thanks for that link, i have sussed it out now, I was concerned that the rear was too narrow as I had Lesters on my z1b 20 years ago and i knew the rear on that bike was wider than standard. looking at the link you posed they list 2 different widths for the rear 2.15 Std. and 3.00Opt. so I guess I have the standard rear. At least I am sure they are for a zed now.

So next question does any one know wether the wheel bearings/ spacers are standard kawasaki ones or not? As the wheels I have do not have bearings in at the moment?
Any help gratefully appreciated!

More
11 Jul 2007 14:28 #156211 by lmullisZ1
Stever

Looks like the fronts take two bearings no. 6203 RS
and the rears take two bearings no. 6304 RS. Would
think that the spacers would be same as a stock rim, if they use these same bearings.
Larry

More
11 Jul 2007 15:34 #156221 by stever
Thanks Larry, didi you get those numbers off the bearings on your wheels?

More
12 Jul 2007 04:23 #156307 by lmullisZ1
Yes from my Lester wheels. According to buykawasaki.com, these same size bearings are used in the stock hubs.
Larry

More
12 Jul 2007 12:29 #156447 by stever
Hi larry,
The plot with mine thickens!
I can not find a part number on the front wheel but on the back one its got a number where the cush drive rubbers go of 25100. From the table I was expecting that number to be 25116! Now I am thrown again as 25100 does not appear on the table at all .
What numbers do yours have on them and do you know where the part number is on the front wheel?
Regards Steve

More
14 Jul 2007 10:17 #156791 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Lester Mags
I worked as a Suzuki mechanic in 77 to 82 and if they were mags they were tubeless... we never (and I mean never) used tubes with mags. When the Lesters came out there were very few tubeless tires... they should be fine. All use a standard size car valve stem.