rear brake calipier help

More
04 Jul 2007 11:28 #154705 by morseman
rear brake calipier help was created by morseman
hi all,im looking for a rear brake caliper for my z500b1 v reg,i cant find one anywere,but i can easily get a calipier for a z550,now one or 2 people have told me that it will be fine.can any of u guys and gals give advice on this going to fit ok ,i have having a real hard time trying to get a second hand one for a z500,so this 550 one is near my only chance.appreciate any help at all on this matter.many many thanks in advance.

kevin
cove bay,aberdeen,scotland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Jul 2007 12:32 #154722 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic rear brake calipier help
Kevin,

Is the Z550 caliper you are considering buying one that's listed online (eBay or other online auction site), or is it being listed local to you?

In either case, I'd suggest checking to see if the mounting holes have the same dimensions and if it uses the same/similar brake pads as your bike does.
If everything lines up ok, then you should be fine with using it IMHO.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
04 Jul 2007 14:37 #154744 by morseman
Replied by morseman on topic rear brake calipier help
hi bud,i had a quick look on ebay and couldnt find one,the company thats selling the 550 one is down in england and im in scotland,but its £25,i looked at my pdf format service manual which also covers the z550 and the mounting hole were u put the rear wheel spindal through looks fine,it got a tiny diffrent bit on the top were the pads go but its only a drawing,it looks as if its got the hole for the stabaliser arm to,does it matter if the pads are diffrent? cant i just buy 550 pads for it,thanks for any help bud,thanks.

kevin

More
05 Jul 2007 13:58 #154898 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic rear brake calipier help
I dont know if buy kawasaki.com parts break down will work for the bikes on the other side of the pond, but it may give you a brak down of the part numbers similar to yours which can clue you in as to what to look for

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Jul 2007 11:54 #155312 by morseman
Replied by morseman on topic rear brake calipier help
thanks bud,i got a caliper from a breaker down south in kent england,i opened the package and it looked 100 percent identical,i thought briliant.then i tried to fit it,ahhhh it was a bit too small and the brake pad sizes were also smaller.on the back of the caliper beside the writting were it says tokico japan its got 1 1/2 and on my origonal caliper its got 1 11/16,so its slightly diffrent sizes.i have a pdf format service manual that covers kz500/550 & zx550.1979-1985, now the rear calipers on the z 550 look a lot alike,the part that fixes to the rear wheel spindal(spindal goes through the hole in the bottom) looks fine,the only diffrent change i see is the back top part thats slightly diffrent,if the rear disk is the same size i wonder if all would be ok.its easy to get hold of z550 rear calipers but its near impossable to get z500 ones,also i can get front brake master cylinder rebuilt kits but cant get rear ones.what a headache this is,having a bike thats now got no back brake.

kevin
aberdeen scotland