Chain/Sprocket Stock setup

More
20 Jun 2007 20:52 #151350 by hobodan
Chain/Sprocket Stock setup was created by hobodan
Does anyone know the type of chain i need for the stock setup of a '77 KZ650? or does anyone know how i can measure to find out what type of chain it needs?

Does anyone have a left over chain they don't need anymore?

Thanks!

1977 KZ650-B1 frame and engine. Random pile of parts for the rest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 Jun 2007 20:54 #151351 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Chain/Sprocket Stock setup
Stock chain size is 530x102.
Stock sprocket size is 16T front and 42T rear.

What type of chain you chose is entirely up to you - standard chain, o-ring chain, x-ring chain, etc.
The o-ring/x-ring and other rubber ring style chains are designed to hold the lube on the link rollers longer=longer chain life, provided of course it's lubed and adjusted properly and when needed.
Basically it will depend on what you can afford and are expecting from a chain.

I always use an o-ring chain, which is one step up from a standard non o-ring chain. One thing to remember, if either (or both) of the sprockets are worn, it WILL have worn the chain to some extent.
That's why it's always a good idea to replace the chain and both sprockets as a "set". ;)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/06/20 23:59

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
20 Jun 2007 21:13 #151360 by hobodan
Replied by hobodan on topic Chain/Sprocket Stock setup
OK 530, thats what Z1 sells... The back gear is pretty messed up, but they sell 6-bolt deals and mine is 4 bolt. Are there adapters?

Them chains be expensive, but I'm guessing its quite worth it, considering its an invaluable part! :P

More
21 Jun 2007 07:00 #151438 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain/Sprocket Stock setup
The rear sprocket is always 6 bolts. If you have only 4 there's something very strange there. Always change sprockets when you change the chain. Dennis Kirk and others carry Sunstar sprockets that are near identical to Kawasaki for a lot better price. Sometimes you can buy the original Kawasaki endless chain on ebay for a decent price, otherwise it's like a $400 chain. Part # 92057-1232. I did this routt and will never go back to a masterlink chain again if at all possible. Looking at new chains is kind of like shopping for a helmet anymore, all seem to be geared towards the goofy kid crowd. I saw bikebandit.com had a sale a couple weeks ago for 40% off all chains. You know how difficult it is to buy a "black" chain? All of them are green, red, pink ect. Not on my bike.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
21 Jun 2007 20:00 #151641 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Chain/Sprocket Stock setup
RonKZ650 wrote:

The rear sprocket is always 6 bolts. If you have only 4 there's something very strange there.

But if you check his bike out, it has cast wheels instead of spoked, which certainly weren't stock on the "B" models. No to mention the rear has drum brakes instead of disc, so the wheels (at least the rear) are possibly from an '80 KZ650 F model, or a diff size/brand bike altogether.

Dan,
I'd recommend checking with the PO of your bike if possible and inquire what year and model bike the donor wheels are from before venturing into replacing anything just yet.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
21 Jun 2007 20:21 #151646 by hobodan
yeah... about the wheels... The front suspension and the rear tire and swing arm are from a different bike i picked up in California for parts. I have no idea what the year of it is considering i just got parts, but here is the picture of the bike before it was parted out by the guy who sold it to me. Perhaps you can identify it? It is a KZ650, just no idea the year.

Thanks!

Attachments:

More
22 Jun 2007 07:39 #151740 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain/Sprocket Stock setup
If you have only 4 bolts on the sprocket, the wheel is not from any KZ650. All 650 had 6 bolts. So there are a couple of possibilitys. It could be the complete wheel/hub/sprocket off a KZ440 or KZ400 (not sure if any KZ400 had cast wheels though). These used 4 bolts. It could even be a KZ550 wheel with a KZ400 or 440 hub. Not sure if that would combine or not. It's going to be tough to get brakes or sprocket without knowing what you have for sure.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Jun 2007 21:58 #152464 by hobodan
WELLL I found out that itis from a kz440. :( looks like I'm in the market for a cast 650 wheel... silly PO's. :angry:
Thanks Guys!

-Dan

Post edited by: hobodan, at: 2007/06/25 00:58