Stupid Kickstand Problem

More
20 Jun 2007 11:41 #151162 by mind2find
Stupid Kickstand Problem was created by mind2find
So, when I was installing my new mufflers, with a custom adapter pipe to angle them up in the back, I neglected to realize that the kick-stand wouldn't clear.

Now, after all of the hassle and the pipes installed, the stand rests against the new pipe which will cause quite a clatter and mark up the new pipe. :pinch:

Question: I'd love to just put a small piece of rubber or something on the kick-stand so it won't scrape the pipe. Is there any material that would withstand the heat of the pipe for hours?

I hope?

:unsure:

1976 KZ-750B1 (late model)
1976 KZ-750B1 (early model) Parts Bike
Boston, MA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2007 12:26 #151174 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Stupid Kickstand Problem
If the pipe is round, you can buy a P clamp. The P clamp will fit around the muffler and on the end that hangs down, get a piece of rubber and attach it so it hangs down below the end of the clamp a tad... maybe a piece of old tire or something... it would serve as a bumper for the kickstand when it was put in the up position. BTW: I have a 4 into 2 on one of my carb test bikes and the kick stand just bangs into the pipe. It has dented it a bit but it isn't all that noticeable and doesn't rattle.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
20 Jun 2007 19:13 #151306 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Stupid Kickstand Problem
I just did the same thing. I used my stock headers and angled adaptors I got from ebay...

...and I ran into the same problem at first during dry-run mock-up. But after some measuring, I found that if I cut down the adaptors from around 7" to about 4", it pulled the mufflers forward enough to get the centerstand up higher, behind the angle better.

Don't know if that helps you much, just thought I'd mention it...

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com