Air ride front forks

More
19 Jun 2007 19:14 #150988 by Bob_79KZ
Air ride front forks was created by Bob_79KZ
Its a 79 KZ1000 ST box stock. The front forks have an air valve at the top of each fork leg.

About how much air pressure should I run in them. Right now they have 2 and 1/2 pounds. I mostly ride solo.

What do ye think?

Thanks, Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2007 20:05 #151003 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Air ride front forks
I don't know exactly, but it's not "box stock" if it has air caps. I guess you know that. The problem with those air caps is lets say you have 5lbs of pressure, by the time you simply put a guage on there for a split second you'll lose 2 lbs. A complete waste of time really. Get rid of air and go back to the regular setup. If it's too saggy get progressive springs or preload the springs with PVC pipe or similar. The stock ST front forks are superior to any other KZ ever made, so no reason to fool with the stock setup in my opinion. One great motorcycle built strong everywhere you look.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Jun 2007 21:36 #151026 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Air ride front forks
RON: Yep, those forks came with the bike brand new off the show room floor. I got the bike from the original owner.

He says they are the same forks that are on his 1980 KZ1300 which he also bought new. He also has a 1980 KZ750 which has been sitting for 10 years.

I'm not to crazy about those forks either cause you just know they are gonna leak air. Otherwise they seem to work great and really soak up the bumps.

Can I still preload them like regular forks?

Thanks for the reply,
Bob

More
20 Jun 2007 07:19 #151088 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Air ride front forks
In trying to work out forks for my project, I spoke to a breaker who seemexcd to think that dealers would offer the air fork caps as an option on the bikes. I have no idea if this accurate or not though.

More
20 Jun 2007 07:25 #151089 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Air ride front forks
Air forks are not shown in the parts breakdown for the ST and mine doesn't have them.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Jun 2007 08:36 #151114 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Air ride front forks
Mine also have the air caps on the forks, and I also got mine from the original owner.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
20 Jun 2007 09:31 #151125 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Air ride front forks
Yep, it might be that it was offered as an option back then.

I guess I'll try a short length of pipe as a spacer to kick the front end up a little. I'm also gonna lower the rear end about and inch and a half.

Other than all that...its box stock.:P

Thanks again gents,
Bob

Post edited by: Bob_79KZ, at: 2007/06/20 12:33