Siezed front axle nuts

More
16 Jun 2007 12:00 #149983 by old650
Siezed front axle nuts was created by old650
Sorry, don't have time to search archives. My front axle nuts are siezed tighter than a nun on a saturday night. I want to change the tire and install new bearings etc. Any tips? Again I apologise for being lazy, I usually make the search effort but I'm under the gun for time. Thanks. They will sit with liquid wrench on them for a day or two. What I really need to do though is get it inside the hub somehow. Gotta go!

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/06/16 15:03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2007 12:12 #149987 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Siezed front axle nuts
loosen nuts on caps,then put a big wrench on each side;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jun 2007 13:50 #150011 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Siezed front axle nuts
I had the same problem, do what Plummen said. I also needed a pipe on one side.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
16 Jun 2007 16:01 #150030 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Siezed front axle nuts
Leave the pinch nuts tight on one side, then put a BIG wrench on the other. The tight pinch nuts will hold that side from just turning so all your effort goes into the side you're working on. Whichever side of your axle is less frozen will break loose first, then you loosen the remaining pinch bolts and you're good to go.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 Jun 2007 16:17 #150036 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Siezed front axle nuts
RonKZ650 wrote:

Leave the pinch nuts tight on one side, then put a BIG wrench on the other. The tight pinch nuts will hold that side from just turning so all your effort goes into the side you're working on. Whichever side of your axle is less frozen will break loose first, then you loosen the remaining pinch bolts and you're good to go.

thatll work too!;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Jun 2007 02:54 #150128 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Siezed front axle nuts
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get at her when I have some time off work. I was using a very BIG breaker bar with a 27mm socket on it and the bloody bar was flexing a bit, but no go. Maybe some pipe would give me more leaverage. I have a spare front wheel if anything goes pop anyway. I was also able to take the nuts/axle apart on my spare, but my runner is being nasty. I'll rub its tank and talk nice to it, maybe it will cooperate.:lol:

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/06/17 06:02

More
22 Jun 2007 19:51 #151926 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Siezed front axle nuts
I got the axle nuts off with an audible POP, after that they just came off like butter. I wanted to see the condition of the front bearings and they were still well greased. Anyway, I got the tire off, took the axle, seals, bearings etc. out of the wheel. The rim has been sprayed inside and out to free the spokes. I'll tighten up the spokes, check the rim for true, clean it all up and install new bearings (that I repacked with moly grease). It will feel good to have the new tire/tube/rim strip and bearings in the front end. I already installed new rear bearings so the war pony will have firm legs for a while.B) Now maybe I'll get around to that leaking right fork seal one day. I've had the new seals since last year. :whistle: