Alternatives to spending $140 for brake lines?

More
11 Jun 2007 11:16 #148383 by steell
I converted my 79 750 twin to dual front disks using 1000 rotors and 83 GPz750 calipers (they both bolt right on if anyone's wondering), and now I need new, longer, brake lines.
Problem is the cheapest stainless steel lines I have found are going to set me back $140 for just the front, that's for two 18" lines between the lower clamp and the calipers, and one 12" line between the lower clamp and the 95 GPz1100 master cylinder. That's for Goodridge lines and fittings at Dennis Kirk. Sock new upper brake line is near $40 from Z1, and stock lower lines are too short.

I figure there has got to be a cheaper alternative, but I haven't found one yet.

Any ideas?

Friggin brake pads are $45 -$90 for both front calipers :woohoo:

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 11:26 #148388 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Alternatives to spending $140 for brake lines?
Are there any hydraulic hose shops in your area that might cater to the industrial sector? I've thought about replacing my old hoses by going to a shop near me...it may or may not be cheaper than Kawasaki and stainless.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
11 Jun 2007 11:30 #148392 by steell
Someone smack me upside the head :blush:

I deal with the local hydraulic shopd on a regular basis, but never thought of them because I only mess with the larger hydraulic hoses. Not going to be DOT legal, but I don't think that really matters.

KD9JUR

More
11 Jun 2007 11:36 #148394 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Alternatives to spending $140 for brake lines?
Good deal, let me know how it works out and I may replace mine earlier than planned. They're only 28 years old anyway...:whistle:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
11 Jun 2007 11:59 #148404 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Alternatives to spending $140 for brake lines?
I have been using the hydraulic shop for years.
They can do DOT approved hoses.
A full set of stainless for my KZ1100, front & rear was $120.
They can do the rubber hoses cheaper, butI'm not interested.

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2007 12:09 #148409 by wireman
steell wrote:

Someone smack me upside the head :blush:

I deal with the local hydraulic shopd on a regular basis, but never thought of them because I only mess with the larger hydraulic hoses. Not going to be DOT legal, but I don't think that really matters.

when ya find a volunteer to smack you upside your head let me know,i wanna see this !:S :S :P i think the biggest problem will be fittings.i dont worry too much about dot ratings,just a bunch of beurocratic(spell check!:blink:)bs for the most part ;)

More
11 Jun 2007 14:01 #148433 by BSKZ650
there is somebody on the net that makes the lines up with the right banjo fittings on them, and they were decent priced, and I dont remember who, a friend replaced them on his xs1100 they looked great

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Jun 2007 16:47 #148463 by N0NB
I've mentioned HEL USA before. They're not the cheapest, but for the money he supplies a nice black (or many other colors) no-marring coated line that is stainless braided, has the correct banjo ends, and includes new bolts and crush washers. The two-line set for the 650B cost me $100 and the three line set for the SR cost $150.

Going the Earl's route, as has been suggested, would have wound up being even money and at least this way I won't screw up the connection. I didn't like the Galfer precut length route as there were 2" discrepancies from the lengths I measured.

Craig at HEL USA will cut them to length and put on the banjo ends with the angles you specify. The lines look great on the bike, the response is solid, and they'll last a lifetime. I don't take shortcuts with my brakes.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Jun 2007 10:23 #148724 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Alternatives to spending $140 for brake lines?
I make my own SS lines as most of my applications require a custom length. Tell the hysraulic shop that you want 3/16" SAE 100R14 hose, this is the stainless braided line with a teflon core not just a stainless sheathing.
You can either have them crimp on the swivel end adapters or you can order the chrome do it yourself version from JP Cycles....they are fairly easy to assemble yourself, the problem is making a clean cut so the braid does not flare out. Hydraulic shops use a Beverly sheer to cut this line.
If you need some line, I sell it for $2 per foot.
These are not DOT listed but I am not concerned.....

More
12 Jun 2007 11:10 #148737 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Alternatives to spending $140 for brake parts?
steell wrote:

. . . Any ideas?

Friggin brake pads are $45 -$90 for both front calipers

I started hunting alternatives to EBC and the dealers. Advance Auto shows a listing by Wagner or Bendix, for about $20-25 per set.

I'll probably edit this post as I get better / more information.