Crazy new bleeding technique

More
11 Jun 2007 08:44 #148317 by dnpurdy
Crazy new bleeding technique was created by dnpurdy
I was thinking about brake bleeding this morning, and pondering about charging a master cylinder by putting the hose end into the reservoir and I was wondering if this method would work for generic brake bleeding.

I am assuming you have flushed the system and that there is new brake fluid in the lines and reservoir, is there an problem in taking a hose from the bleed nipple and submerging the other end in the reservoir? As you pump, you’ll kick the air out of the tubing and it will bubble out in the reservoir. Then as your circulate the fluid, it will get re-deposited into the master cylinder without the introduction of air. 2 or 3 full cycles, and you can be sure it’s air free, super simple!

Anyone got thoughts on trying this? I am thinking of doing it on my rear brake tonight. Front dual brakes would require a two tubes or a two-to-one hose adapter.

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 09:02 #148326 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Easiest way I've found to bleed is use a mityvac bleeder kit. Makes bleeding brakes and clutch a couple minute job.

More
11 Jun 2007 10:48 #148369 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
It can be such a pain bleeding mater clyinders! I've had good luck by removing the calipers from the discs and pumping them up to push the pistons out farther than normal(but not all the way!!). I then let them sit for a few hours so the bubbles can float upward, then compress the caliper pistons to force the bubbles and fluid back into the reservoir. Your idea is the same as recomended to bleed new auto master cylinders, though most times I've had to put my finger over the line in the fluid to make a one way valve of sorts.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
11 Jun 2007 11:25 #148386 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
you are better off to run it to a can on the ground and pour it back in as needed, that way you get all the air out.
car master cyls bled that way but they have a larger area to reclaim the fluid

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Jun 2007 16:50 #148465 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Unless the system is perfectly clean, there is always the chance of putting contaminants back into the system. Brake fluid is cheap. :side:

Not only that, but I have read that aerated brake fluid should not be introduced into the system. When you buy a can of fluid, it should sit for several hours before use. Don't shake the bottle so that air bubbles are kept out of it.

With that in mind, introducing aerated brake fluid right back into the system kind of defeats the purpose of bleeding, not? Like I said above, brake fluid is cheap. Don't cut corners on brakes.

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/06/11 19:54

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Jun 2007 18:41 #148496 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Muddy wrote:

Easiest way I've found to bleed is use a mityvac bleeder kit. Makes bleeding brakes and clutch a couple minute job.

+1

And Harbor Freight sells them for less than $30. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
12 Jun 2007 04:30 #148601 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
The technique I started to use a couple years ago was using a syringe and forcing the fluid from the caliper back to the master cylinder....this is amazingly fast. All you need is a syringe (buy them anywhere) and a short piece of 1/8" tubing.
No air bubbles, no tapping the lines, no pumping the levers......

More
12 Jun 2007 04:49 #148605 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Do you need to pump the lever to open the circuit to let the air out, or is it naturally open? I can't remember..

I think I'd like to try this syringe method since my brakes aren't as solid as they could be.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
12 Jun 2007 07:43 #148675 by Night_Train01
no pumping required with the syringe....simply remove the existing fluid from the resevior (use the syringe to do this also) then draw the new fluid up into the syringe, attach the 1/8" tube to the bleed nipple on the caliper. Open the nipple with a wrench, push on the plunger of the syringe, look inside the resevior and keep pushing the plunger until the res is full....thats it....tighten the bleed nipple, put the res cover on and away you go....

More
12 Jun 2007 17:29 #148817 by smd
Replied by smd on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Wait, so do you only fill the syringe once? It seems like you would have to remove the syringe to get more fluid, at which point you'd be letting air in, then pumping that in through the caliper. No?

More
12 Jun 2007 18:22 #148839 by Night_Train01
You need to get a med sized syringe not the little thin ones. You then only have to fill it once.
Once you try this method there will be no going back....

More
12 Jun 2007 19:24 #148855 by smd
Replied by smd on topic Crazy new bleeding technique
Night_Train01 wrote:

You need to get a med sized syringe not the little thin ones. You then only have to fill it once.
Once you try this method there will be no going back....

Okay--I've got one of those syringes the dentist gives you after pulling a tooth, a "monoject." It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I have no garage, so I'm itching to do this thing right now, and I'm debating whether to try your method. This is going from empty, brand new steel lines. What do you think?