dual front brake conversion?

More
09 Jun 2007 14:08 #147818 by cnyl
dual front brake conversion? was created by cnyl
Hi guys,
My 1980 Kz550 A1 has a single side rotor/caliper on the front left side. Can a rotor be mounted to the right side of the wheel? I already have a caliper and rotor I can use. Besides brake lines and rotor bolts, is there anything else I need to make this work? As far as brake lines go... Should I just run 2 lines straight from the M/C to the calipers or should I keep it as a 1 to 2 config?

Thanks

;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2007 14:33 #147827 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic dual front brake conversion?
I just seen the thread that bkitchen started. Will this be the same for me?

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2007 15:51 #147841 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic dual front brake conversion?
ive never seen a stock 550 with dual discs;)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
09 Jun 2007 23:37 #147948 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic dual front brake conversion?
wireman wrote:

ive never seen a stock 550 with dual discs;)

All years of the GPz550's had them, so I'm pretty sure there's a way that it can be done. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
10 Jun 2007 02:28 #147956 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic dual front brake conversion?
cnyl wrote:

Hi guys,
My 1980 Kz550 A1 has a single side rotor/caliper on the front left side. Can a rotor be mounted to the right side of the wheel? I already have a caliper and rotor I can use. Besides brake lines and rotor bolts, is there anything else I need to make this work? As far as brake lines go... Should I just run 2 lines straight from the M/C to the calipers or should I keep it as a 1 to 2 config?

Thanks

;)

I've done this to my kz1000a2 already.
As long as your hub is pre-drilled for the rotor there shouldn't be too much trouble. With the front wheel off remove the right side dust cover (part #14025-1042) and see if the mount holes are there. If they are, you're set. Put the rotor on and put the dust cover away! If not, then you'll need to find a wheel to fit that is pre-drilled. Or do it yourself - this probably isn't easy or safe.

Make sure to get the right caliper and rotor bolts. Grade 8 or 10 will do nicely. Most chassis bolts are grade 5. Most hardware store stuff is grade 2(unless specifically marked grade 5)

Two lines versus one? There are splitters available from the bikes with dual discs that may mount to where your hose joint (part #43061-1002)fits. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Sport bikers when converting to steel lines would often eliminate their splitter and use a double bolt at the master cylinder - supposed to be better - but for our level of machine, its a matter of which you like the look of. Stock or racy.

Finally, do get steel lines and new pads and you'll be pleased with the change.

hope this is useful...

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
10 Jun 2007 06:02 #147971 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic dual front brake conversion?
Thanks guys,
I'll pull the wheel and dust cover to see if it's possible. By removing the splitter will I see a big difference in brake feel?
;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
10 Jun 2007 10:23 #148033 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic dual front brake conversion?
cnyl wrote:

By removing the splitter will I see a big difference in brake feel?
;)

Probably not noticebale enough to feel, unless you're racing. And even then probably not a great diff.
IIRC, running equal length brake hoses w/out a splitter is reportedly better because both calipers will receive equal amount of brake pressure. With a splitter, there's also a (remote) chance of a passage becoming blocked and limiting/preventing pressure to one caliper.

I'm not sure if your 550 is like my 650, but the splitter on my bike also houses the front brake light switch. So you'd need to figure out a way to get around that.
FWIW, "upgrading" to the master cylinder from a newer sports bike can tackle all issues pertaining to this - powers two calipers, has the brake switch incorporated into the master cylinder (just hook your wires up to it), and most run remote reservoirs which makes mounting less of a chore. Plus replacement/rebuild parts are more readily available should you need them.

I scored a complete master cylinder w/remote reservoir (PLUS steel braided lines!) from a '92 ZX10 for about$20 shipped about a year ago on eBay that I'm planning on using on my 650.
The only thing I need to replace is the bent brake lever and it's good to go! ;)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/06/10 13:24

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ