glowing brake disc

More
08 Jun 2007 10:30 #147505 by Joe04_64752
glowing brake disc was created by Joe04_64752
I was riding a while back and the bike felt like the bike was craping out and then i looked back and seen that the rotor was glowing oarnge and quickly stoped and then to release the pressure i opened the bleeder and ther was a good amount of pressure and was just wondering if it sounded like the guy that had the bike before be might have put the wrong brake fluid in and caused a reaction. If so can i just flush the lines with lots of Dot 3 or if i have to replace them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2007 10:46 #147513 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic glowing brake disc
could be the master cylnder needs rebuilt,id definately check that rotor really close if it got that hot theres a good chance you warped it or atleast softened it up really good;)

More
08 Jun 2007 11:01 #147524 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic glowing brake disc
Should be an adjustment in the rod between rear brake lever and master cylinder to allow some clearance when the brake is at rest. 1/4 to 3/8 inch pedal movement before contact is probably enough (but refer to shop manual).

Consider pads are likely "heat-hardened" to point of needing replacement.

Would replace the fluid with fresh DOT3.

It's possible the rear caliper may need an overhaul (disassembly, cleaning, and replace rubber parts) -- see shop manual.

Also possible the relief port in the rear master cylinder is clogged, so rear m/c might also need disassembly and a good cleaning (see shop manual).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2007 14:01 #147595 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic glowing brake disc
like wireman said, master cyl, I would also rebuild the caliper also, if it got that hot it didnt do the seals any good, and I would go back with dot 5 ,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
08 Jun 2007 15:41 #147620 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic glowing brake disc
Joe04_64752 wrote:

.... it sounded like the guy that had the bike before be might have put the wrong brake fluid in and caused a reaction.

I don't think you can put the wrong Dot fluid in since dot3 is the standard and anything above has a higher boiling point. He might have gotten water in the lines though which could cause the brakes to grab without your input.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)