Newbie with a chain question

More
08 Jun 2007 10:12 #147495 by fishybass
Newbie with a chain question was created by fishybass
In general, what should I be looking for when I assess the condition of my drive chain? I understand the things that clymer lists about chain wear and deflection... but should I be concerned about a rusty chain? I am about to buy a 1980 KZ550 A1 and first indications are that the chain is not overly worn, but I am concerned about it's lack of grease or lube (dry as a bone). I am debating between just greasing it up and calling it good, or replacing it. What would you be looking at when deciding to replace the chain?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 10:22 #147499 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Newbie with a chain question
From what I know (which ain't much!) stretch is the killer. The FSM for my 750 twin says the service limit is 323mm for a 20-link section. Now, I did not measure it that way, but there is also the adjustment section that says you should have 25-35mm of slack midway between the sprockets. Mine was more than double that, and was adjusted all the way out. New chain and sprockets - they were hosed too! :)

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
08 Jun 2007 10:33 #147507 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newbie with a chain question
fishybass wrote:

In general, what should I be looking for when I assess the condition of my drive chain? I understand the things that clymer lists about chain wear and deflection... but should I be concerned about a rusty chain? I am about to buy a 1980 KZ550 A1 and first indications are that the chain is not overly worn, but I am concerned about it's lack of grease or lube (dry as a bone). I am debating between just greasing it up and calling it good, or replacing it. What would you be looking at when deciding to replace the chain?

Is it an o-ring chain (supposedly self-lubed internally and permanently)? Opinions differ on need to lube an o-ring chain. I have good luck either way, lube or no, but at least use WD40 or other light lube occasionally to deter rust formation on the 0-ring style chain.

Rust on a non-o-ring chain and lack of regular lubing maintenance likely means an early death.

Does the rear sprocket look okay?

Would also ask the owner for any details he may have about the chain and sprocket.

Before replacing it in this instance, I would "grease it up and call it good," using bona-fide chain lube. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2007 10:40 #147510 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newbie with a chain question
And the chain should be free from any kinks.

Easy to test by examining chain while rotating rear tire in neutral on center stand with engine off. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2007 12:18 #147561 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Newbie with a chain question
The old well know way to check your chain is to first adjust your slack to the correct amount, then grip the chain towards the back of your wheel sprocket and try to pull it back off one of the teeth. A new chain will barely budge, an old chain will pull back further the more wear it has. The old rule of thumb is if you can pull it back and see half a tooth the chain is worn to it's limit. The controversy about whether you need lube or not is pretty easy for me. Yes you need lube. Try this test. Lube your chain with a good lube, take a 20 mile highway ride and feel the temperature of the chain. Wait until the chain is bone dry and try the same thing. The chain will be too hot to touch most likely. Does this mean lube is most likely doing some good? I think so.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Jun 2007 15:49 #147622 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Newbie with a chain question
You ain't buy that bike yet? Good thing I am not there! I would of smeared some grease on that chain and took off with you eating my dust. LOL! I am serious to some extent. I would only use WD40 on the other part of the chain, but go by decent chain lube, like Bel Ray or chain wax ( yes guys I stopped using ATF, it worked at keeping the chain clean and lubed but I needed a spray bottle which I didn't bother to go ahead with buying, But I am changingthat chain and rear sproket now) and spray that chain

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
08 Jun 2007 17:22 #147644 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic Newbie with a chain question
The only reason I don't have possession of the bike is an agreement I have with my wife.

The wife was deathly afraid of me owning a bike because of her cautious spirit. I was afraid to buy a bike for risk of pissing her off so badly that I would be sleeping on the couch through year two of our marriage. So, our agreement is that I will buy the bike, store it at my parents house in Northern Minnesota, and ride it occassionally there so I can build my skills on road's less populated than South Minneapolis and she has time to gain some comfort with the idea. I have no doubt that in a couple of years she will be on the back of it with me. Or hell, she might have her own bike.

I think this is a reasonable compromise. I am just waiting to find a good time to use my dad's pickup to get the bike and drive it up north. That will be in about two weeks.

More
09 Jun 2007 12:39 #147808 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Newbie with a chain question
I gotchya brotha, take it easy!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean