New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?

More
07 Jun 2007 17:32 #147275 by KZ7501979
New bars for 79 KZ750 twin? was created by KZ7501979
Good evening! I recently purchased a 750 twin and cant stand the stock bars on there. I bought a set of drag bars from ebay, but the controls do not fit properly on these bars (throttle and master cylinder want to run into the gages). The drag bars have almost no rise to them, so I am guessing this is my problem. I would like a set of bars with a more sporty look, but still somewhat comfortable. I did try a few searches, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
07 Jun 2007 18:23 #147288 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
I like the cheap "SuperBike" bars from RideNow Motorsports (f.k.a AZMotorsports.com) - got 'em on the first 750. They have a 2" rise, and are absolutely perfect.

Got the "Daytona" model for the second 750 for a slightly more stock look, but still only a 4" rise.

I have the "Euro" model on the rebuild 400, and I'm not too fond of the position; A bit too pulled back and downward for my wrists...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
07 Jun 2007 18:37 #147294 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
I would be more than happy to take some close up pictures of the drag bars installed on my 79 twin if it will help you.

More
07 Jun 2007 18:55 #147299 by KZ7501979
Replied by KZ7501979 on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
speedadict wrote:

I would be more than happy to take some close up pictures of the drag bars installed on my 79 twin if it will help you.

That would be awesome. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to mount everything to make it work.

Thanks for the other bar tips as well!

More
07 Jun 2007 19:24 #147319 by Voodoosoup
Replied by Voodoosoup on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
I had drag bars with a slight pull-back on my 650.
The master cylinder did slightly rub the gauges but I was able to fit everything on there.

More
07 Jun 2007 19:31 #147322 by speedadict
My pics will have to wait till tommorow...
These are the bars I have,
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRAG-BARS-MOTORC...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
So if yours are at least 28" wide, they will work. More to come...

More
07 Jun 2007 20:02 #147340 by KZ7501979
Replied by KZ7501979 on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
speedadict wrote:

My pics will have to wait till tommorow...
These are the bars I have,
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRAG-BARS-MOTORC...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
So if yours are at least 28" wide, they will work. More to come...

Those are the exact bars I bought. :)

More
07 Jun 2007 21:16 #147358 by speedadict
Then you shall be in luck my friend. ;)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
08 Jun 2007 05:26 #147416 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
I have to say that even with the "Superbike" bars it's extremely tight.

I almost thought it wasn't going to work, and the brake line was severely cramped in around the headlight. I had to re-route it across around the other side of the back of the headlight as well, but then it all fit.

I eventually just replaced it with braided stainless steel. I would look at that bent old stock hose every time I had to do a hasty stop and cringe... ;)

...I didn't have that much trouble with throttle cables...oh and I ran the clutch cable down the other front chassis leg to take up some slack, but I'm sure the right thing to do is to get a shorter cable(s)...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
08 Jun 2007 06:08 #147428 by steell
Replied by steell on topic New bars for 79 KZ750 twin?
Biquetoast wrote:

I have to say that even with the "Superbike" bars it's extremely tight.

I almost thought it wasn't going to work, and the brake line was severely cramped in around the headlight. I had to re-route it across around the other side of the back of the headlight as well, but then it all fit.

I eventually just replaced it with braided stainless steel. I would look at that bent old stock hose every time I had to do a hasty stop and cringe... ;)

...I didn't have that much trouble with throttle cables...oh and I ran the clutch cable down the other front chassis leg to take up some slack, but I'm sure the right thing to do is to get a shorter cable(s)...

When you figure out what cables work well with Superbike bars.
Be sure to let me know :)

KD9JUR

More
08 Jun 2007 20:14 #147675 by speedadict
Ok,
To install your drag bars, first understand it will not be a quick 10 minute project... In order to install them, the fit will be very tight, but it works with the stock brake line, and the stock length clutch cable. When I installed my bars, I had to loosen the nut at the top of the brake line,(at the master cylinder) and rotate it slightly upward. (I loosened mine only enough to rotate it, and did not even need to bleed the brake when I was finished) Keep it loose while your working with everything and tighten it up last. More difficult than the brake side of things was the clutch cable. Shortly after installing my bars my clutch cable snapped. I ordered a new one from Z1 enterprises. You need to take your time and be a little creative about how it is routed so that it works freely, and doesn't look stupid. The cable goes from the lever, to behind the speedo, around the headlight and down the right side frame tube. It crosses over at the bottom of the frame and into the engine case. Use some black zip ties to keep things looking nice, and keep the cables away from the hot pipes. I have not had any problems with this set up, and the look and feel is well worth the effort! Keep the faith, it will work if your patient! ;) When you get good at this, try going to clubman bars! What a pain they are!
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2007 20:17 #147676 by speedadict
Another...
Attachments: