Dual front brake set up

More
06 Jun 2007 21:55 #147052 by bkitchen
Dual front brake set up was created by bkitchen
I am hoping to add dual front brakes on my 76 kz900 but have a few questions. First will my stock spoke wheel work for this? Are the rotor mounting holes already there? I see the forks are already setup for this. Next I am looking for parts on ebay are there certain years I should or shouldn't be looking at or did these stay fairly similar throughout the years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Jun 2007 22:27 #147065 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Dual front brake set up
id say find somebody parting out a 79-80 kz1000 or ltd somebody is parting out then you will have everything you need.you can still keep your wire wheel;)

More
07 Jun 2007 09:47 #147166 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Dual front brake set up
As Wireman stated you can keep your wire front wheel.
If you can't find a complete setup as he also suggested, here's what little I know..
You will need a four bolt front rotor AND mounting hardware for your front rim since your SHOULD be a four bolt one.The Z1's used a six bolt. DON'T buy a four bolt REAR disc and hope it will work. It won't.
You will need to remove the chrome cover from the NON brake side of the front rim and attach the rotor to it.The mounting holes for the rotor/ disc are under that cover. You'll see them.
You will have to either buy or make the correct size spacer to go on you axle to space it ( of all things;) ) away from that side of the fork and keep it running true.
You will need another calipier for the side that does not have one now ( must be for the right side, from what I understand it's the bracket that makes the difference NOT the calipier ).
You will need another brake line to go to that calipier. And if at all possible the brake line holder.
You will need a dual brake splitter, for lack of better word, that mounts to your bottom triple tree .
And there is much debate on if you really NEED a larger master cylinder.. So I won't go there.
Here is a auction that "seems" to take care of most of your needs..
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=290126035885&rd=1,1
But with ANYTHING on eBay ASK questions, NEVER ASS-U-ME that the seller knows anything about what they have or what it might fit or that it really works as stated. ASK ASK ASK !!!

To answer another question of yours.. from what I understand .. from 1976?- 1980 all front disc's/rotors should work for you as long as they are four bolt. The same for the rest of the setup.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes, Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/06/07 13:01

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?