• N0NB
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Blue handles better
More
06 Jun 2007 16:02 #146958 by N0NB
Tire preferences was created by N0NB
Okay, this should be about as interesting as an oil thread! :laugh:

Tires are an interesting choice. With a number of manufacturers, the choices are varied. We can choose performance tires and give up mileage or touring tires and be careful in the turns but get a long lasting tire. Most of us (me at least) would prefer a combination. Also, we can't forget that for an older bike a tire should "look right".

With that in mind I've been shopping for a rear tire for the 650B (the front is a nearly new Cheng Shin and the jury is out on that one, but it "looks right"). Since a Dunlop D404 rear was put on the recently completed '78 SR project, I got to really like the profile and pattern on it. Online reviews for it don't give it high praise for mileage and it has been panned on here as well.

So, today I call the bike shop in Manhattan (Kansas, i.e. The Little Apple, home of Kansas State, etc.) and asked if he had a D404 in a 120/90H18 in stock. He said no and that he'd been moving away from Dunlops. Interesting. He did say he has the Pirelli MT66 in stock in either 110 or 120. After checking a pic, I think it would "look right" on the B as well. Last fall he had shown me an IRC tire, but he's moving away from them too.

My SR has a pair of Conti Blitz TKH23/24 on it. So far they are showing a good wear characteristic despite being ridden on gravel. But, they don't "look right" to me and I've had to get used to the way they handle gravel (kind of squirrelly). On pavement, they have been well planted, although I've not ridden in rain (I'm a wuss, okay?).

So, what's everyone else's thoughts on tires for a KZ?

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2007 17:42 #146978 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Tire preferences
Oh golly...the "O" word and now the "T" word! ;) :laugh:
Installed a set of the aforementioned Pirelli's on me Honda early this spring and like them so far over numerous hundreds of miles.
Of course I would prolly like Metzlers or Dunlops or Bridgestone's too. :whistle:
The Pirelli's seemed to be a good tire for the money...so far so good. :) ...and they "look right!"

BT45's on the GPz.

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2007/06/06 20:43

More
06 Jun 2007 17:55 #146983 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Tire preferences
Not to hijack your thread, Nate, but I have also been wondering about tires for my 750 twin spoker. I know they are tubes, but one of them (rear chen shin), says "tubeless". Now I know I cannot run truly tubeless, as the rims are not up to the task, but can one run a tubeless tire WITH a tube? Any possible issues? The front is a nearly-new dunlop K-something (not in their catalog anymore) that is almost knobby.

I like the look of those Pirelli's, but I think I like the 404's better.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
06 Jun 2007 18:02 #146987 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic Tire preferences
The first ones I put on mine after the OEM Dunlops was a set of ConiTwins. Wore good, about 5000 on the rear and 8000 on front. Then tried a set of SuperTwins, better grip lasted about as long but had a habit of trying to stand up in corners and followed rain grooves bad. Then tried Metzeler ME33 front and ME99A rear and feel in love, lasted around 6000 on rear and 10,000 on front, stuck well enough to drag the Kirker and pegs, and they stayed where you put them in the corners. They didn't follow rain grooves too bad and stopped well, now they've quit making them and I have just started looking for something to use now. Tried a Pirelli Sport Demon rear and though it stuck well at the track (never did get it to slide) it only lasted 2000 miles. It wore uneven, smooth on one side and .135" opposite. When I called Pirelli to complain they gave me the "take it back to the dealer and we'll see" bs. As I got it through D. Kirk I just tossed it and reinstalled a used 99A and will likely not try Pirelli again. Havn't tried the Dunlop GT 501 yet, but it's next on my list. Not many choices anymore for bias ply 18" on both ends.

good thread topic,
thumbs up!!:)

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
06 Jun 2007 18:04 #146989 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tire preferences
Kinda hard to find a tire any more that requires a tube, but most non radial tires are listed as tube/tubeless.

I have a new set of 404's I am putting on my 79 twin, but only cause I don't want to spend the extra $$ for GT501's at the moment :)

I am putting 18" GPz750 wheels on my KZ750E and am planning to use Bridgestone BT45's because I can't get the 140/80 (or 70)/18 size in the GT501's.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/06 21:06

KD9JUR

More
06 Jun 2007 19:36 #147022 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire preferences
Like Steell says, it's nearly impossible to find a "tube type" tire and if you do it just means it's an extremely low quality tire not capable of running tubeless for the most part. So for all intensive purposes just run good quality tubeless rated tires with tubes fitted on tube type wheels. I've run a few tires but it's been years ago so they have probably been changed some in the way they are made. I always ran the Dunlop K591s which have been replaced by the GT501 I believe which I haven't tried, but the 591 was a fantastic tire so I can only put good faith in the 501s. Used the Dunlop 491 Touring Elite once on my MKII and on the 84 Goldwing. I really wouldn't recommend them as they wear like iron, but get hard and slippery with age. Did the Dunlop 404s and wouldn't recommend them, very bad in wet conditions even when new and when old down right scary. Did the Continental TKH23/24 Contiblitz and although only a few hundred miles so far they are fantastic and the funny thing to me directly opposite of NONB is right away i said "those tires just look right". Other tires I've done are many years ago, the Metzler ME33 and ME99 which are probably obsolete by now. Didn't find anything particulary notable on them. Ran some Pirelli's years ago and they were good, but small, had to run a 130 to be like a 120 of any other brand. Of course many moons ago, an entirely different tire. I'm staying with the Continental TKH23/24 if they hold up I love them and the great thing is YES they come in stock size 4.00-18, 3.25-19 which looks right. Other brands 100/90-19 front is OK, 110/90-18 is to low profile, 120/90-18 is OK if you like a wide tire, I prefer stock though.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Jun 2007 22:18 #147063 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Tire preferences
Z1R rider wrote:

The first ones I put on mine after the OEM Dunlops was a set of ConiTwins. Wore good, about 5000 on the rear and 8000 on front. Then tried a set of SuperTwins, better grip lasted about as long but had a habit of trying to stand up in corners and followed rain grooves bad. Then tried Metzeler ME33 front and ME99A rear and feel in love, lasted around 6000 on rear and 10,000 on front, stuck well enough to drag the Kirker and pegs, and they stayed where you put them in the corners. They didn't follow rain grooves too bad and stopped well, now they've quit making them and I have just started looking for something to use now. Tried a Pirelli Sport Demon rear and though it stuck well at the track (never did get it to slide) it only lasted 2000 miles. It wore uneven, smooth on one side and .135" opposite. When I called Pirelli to complain they gave me the "take it back to the dealer and we'll see" bs. As I got it through D. Kirk I just tossed it and reinstalled a used 99A and will likely not try Pirelli again. Havn't tried the Dunlop GT 501 yet, but it's next on my list. Not many choices anymore for bias ply 18" on both ends.

good thread topic,
thumbs up!!:)

yeah i used to love the me99s also!:(

More
06 Jun 2007 22:40 #147069 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Tire preferences
GT 501 on the front in 2005, and is holding up well. Actually just ordered the same for the back today (130/80) to replace a Bridgestone which I noticed is almost down to the wear bars. Mind you, I put that one on last year, and it was used then (maybe 1K miles on it). Talked to a few shops, and most are short of stock, expecting the 501's near the end of this month? Tire shortage? :unsure: B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
08 Jun 2007 06:37 #147435 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Tire preferences
I prefer Michelin Pilots because you can use a tube with them. ;)

• N0NB
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Blue handles better
More
08 Jun 2007 09:34 #147479 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Tire preferences
I got the MT66 mounted yesterday and it looks to be a nice tire. Unfortunately, the shop owner said he got a good deal on them because they're being discontinued. :(

I got very close to an Internet price for it and free mounting, at least! :)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
08 Jun 2007 14:37 #147603 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Tire preferences
I have Pirelli Dragons (radials) and I love them, except in the rain, I feel like the back end is going to pass the front. Only available in 17" though.