7 year old tires, question

More
05 Jun 2007 08:14 #146490 by anarki650
7 year old tires, question was created by anarki650
The new project I picked up (81 kz650 CSR) has what look to be insanely low mile tires on it. There's no visible signs of wear, it looks like the tires were put on right before it got shoveled away into storage, in 2000. There's no weather checking, cracking, or any other visible signs of degredation. So, my question is, should I trust these tires or replace them? My instinct is to put new rubber on, just to be safe, but am I being overly cautious? The tires really do look new so I'd hate to nix them just because I'm being paranoid. Opinions?

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2007 09:20 #146514 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic 7 year old tires, question
I would check it with a tire expert first,BUT don't tell them the tires' age till you have their verdict

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
05 Jun 2007 09:55 #146520 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 7 year old tires, question
We have a lot of debate over this particularly from petosaur, but he's gone, so I'll stick with my original stance that if the tires were not out in the sun, out in the weather ect, they will last a long time. I never had a bit of problem ever using old tires. The reason I say this, is I have the strange problem of overstocking everything I buy pretty much, so I find a tire I like I might buy 6 tires at once and just leave the 4 spares in the garage till I need them. I just put "new tires" on the KZ650 I bought back in 1998. Work great. You at least can try them. If they feel slippery or begin to crack, toss them.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
05 Jun 2007 09:56 #146521 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic 7 year old tires, question
kzwolfsr wrote:

I would check it with a tire expert first,BUT don't tell them the tires' age till you have their verdict

Expert will read date off the tire:-)

If it's a good tire to begin with, once you get the outer layer scuffed off, it should be fine. It will be pretty slick until then.

-Duck

More
05 Jun 2007 13:40 #146564 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic 7 year old tires, question
It's probably best to treat them like new tires. Be careful on them for the first 100 miles or so.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
05 Jun 2007 14:07 #146571 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic 7 year old tires, question
you could use them to do short test rides, but that is about as far as I would want to take it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2007 14:19 #146578 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 7 year old tires, question
tires are cheap,emergency rooms are expensive;) when in doubt replace;)

More
05 Jun 2007 15:58 #146624 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 7 year old tires, question
I agree with Wireman. Age will harden the rubber naturally. I usually replace my tires every few years as a matter of safety. I have noticed a difference in the grip after a few years so I change them out.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
05 Jun 2007 17:02 #146637 by KawasakiBob
Replied by KawasakiBob on topic 7 year old tires, question
anarki650 wrote:

The new project I picked up (81 kz650 CSR) has what look to be insanely low mile tires on it. There's no visible signs of wear, it looks like the tires were put on right before it got shoveled away into storage, in 2000. There's no weather checking, cracking, or any other visible signs of degredation. So, my question is, should I trust these tires or replace them? My instinct is to put new rubber on, just to be safe, but am I being overly cautious? The tires really do look new so I'd hate to nix them just because I'm being paranoid. Opinions?

Usually your first impression is the correct one.

If I were in your shoes, I'd replace them. Then I'd get some Dr Shoals foot powder :woohoo: