Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires

More
05 Jun 2007 04:45 #146430 by cycleknight
Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires was created by cycleknight
When I get home, I plan a rebuild of my long-suffering 79 kz750b. I'll probably have ten thousand other questions, but first I'd like to know the best brands for chains, sprockets, and tires for my bike. What are the longest lasting? Which, in your opinions, suit the bike best? I'll be setting this bike up for cycle camping and as my commuter vehicle for my 45 mile drive to work, so dependability is a must. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Jun 2007 06:47 #146464 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires
First, welcome to the forum, twin twin owner!

Second, if you are military, thank you for serving.

Third, to the point: "Best", of course, is highly subjective. Everyone will have an opinion, and you should take them all with caution, obviously. I can only say what *I* like best. Having said that disclaimer...

For chain, etc., I recommend an o-ring or x-ring chain. In fact, to be specific, I recommend an RK x-ring chain, rivet-style master-link (yes, you'll have to buy a rivet tool), and lube regularly (weekly or more) with RK lube. You want dependability? That's what you'll get.

For tires, it's hard to recommend. I would buy one that fits your style of riding, more than focusing too much on a brand. Everyone swears by the tires they have, and this debate can get as hot as the oil debate. I'll just say that I use a couple different types of Dunlops, currently the Qualifyers on the 400s and the 404s on my 750s, though next time I might get Dunlop 491 Elite II (they cost more).

Next,
See this thread !!!

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
05 Jun 2007 07:04 #146470 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires
As usual, I agree with Biquetoast, and the best deal I have found on the RK X-Ring chain and sprockets is at Z1 Enterprises. The ones that I just ordered for my 79 twin should be here today :)

And I just installed Dunlop 404's on the Morris Mags that are going on the 79 at teh same time I install the chain and sprockets.

I would have gone with the Dunlop GT501 tires like I had on a previous 79 twin, but things are a little tight financially right now, so I bought the cheaper 404's.

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Jun 2007 11:21 #146548 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires
steell wrote:

As usual, I agree with Biquetoast...

That's funny, I thought I always agreed with you....

...so I bought the cheaper 404's.

You have to tell me if you have any problems with them. I have one of my twins vibrating ever so slightly (no, not the normal vibration) while in motion, and I know it sounds crazy, but I *think* the front tire is *slightly* out-of-round.... Could be my rim, but I thought it was straight.... I've loved them other than that... I know I'm a pretty non-agressive rider, but I have like 8000 miles on one set so far, with no real sign of wear. Must be pretty hard tires...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
05 Jun 2007 13:37 #146563 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires
So far, the best combined price for sprockets and chains has been Z1 Enterprises as they ship quality hardware.

For tires you can buy from any of the numerous vendors on the Web. Be aware that some local shops will not mount tires not purchased at that shop. So, you want to be sure you can mount them yourself or that a shop won't balk at mounting a carry-in tire you bought online. Others will mount them and charge you dearly for the privilege.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Jun 2007 02:40 #148583 by cycleknight
Replied by cycleknight on topic Best buys in chains, sprockets, tires
Biquetoast wrote:

First, welcome to the forum, twin twin owner!

Thank you. Glad to be here.

Second, if you are military, thank you for serving.

Kinda-sorta. I'm in the Guard. We're a bunch of worthless weekend warriors, unless we're pulling the army's butt out of the fire, Then we're "Selfless Citizen Soldiers" :huh: ;) As for myself, I'm no hero, I sit in my air conditioned shop chasing sparks. But I appreciate your thanks.

Thank you for the information, as I get into this thing, I'll probably need alot more. :whistle:

CK