Brake bleeding confession

More
04 Jun 2007 20:55 #146364 by old650
Brake bleeding confession was created by old650
I must confess that tonight was the first time that I've ever bled the front brake on my 77 KZ650B1. The fluid was....let's say..... well,... ok it was BLACK! This is a rather interesting contrast to the clear fresh fluid. My brake went from Sponge Bob to a sharp RIGHT NOW bite. Jeez, I had no idea that there would be such a difference! Ahhh seen da light bruthas! I already put new shoes in the back a year or two ago, and I can lock the rear up if I go too hard on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2007 21:33 #146376 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Brake bleeding confession
Sounds like you had hardening of the arteries, or maybe it was just blood clots. Glad you got it fixed.
Ride safe.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/06/05 00:33

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
04 Jun 2007 23:18 #146390 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Brake bleeding confession
The Milkman wrote:

Sounds like you had hardening of the arteries, or maybe it was just blood clots. Glad you got it fixed.
Ride safe.<br><br>Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/06/05 00:33

You bet, thanks. ;) I look back and see the things that I feared to fix/replace because I had no prior experience with them, such as: rebuilding the carb rack, repacking the clutch, reshimming the valve clearances, replacing the cam chain etc. I reshimmed poorly the first time but did better on the second go round. I have replaced or adjusted a ton of parts on the bike from carb float levels to wheel bearings to well, probably 80% of the bike by now. I think that going from the small repairs to the more complicated has been a linear progression, which instilled higher degrees of confidence. Factory and commercial repair manuals along with the info given feely here on KZR has helped me tremendously. I can now go out and tune my bike quickly. This includes a carb synch, which leaves me amazed at how quickly I can do it now. All I'm saying is than a Joe schmo with half decent tools, the proper manuals or info from this site should be able to do most or all of his repairs/maintenance.

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/06/05 02:24