KZ650 swingarm question

More
31 May 2007 19:46 #145362 by MiataMS
KZ650 swingarm question was created by MiataMS
A little intro first...

Hello all, I am a 'new' member. I had a '78 KZ750B3 a few years ago, sold it, and regretted it for a long long time. That was a really really fun bike.

Long story short, I just found a '78 KZ650 C sitting in a shed. Complete bike minus some minor stuff like the airbox, battery, and a couple fasteners. I picked it up yesterday for $200.

Today I tore into the bike and it's now a bunch of pieces rather than a motorcycle. I'm going to do a 'restoration' of the bike. Blast and powdercoat the frame, swingarm, the other little 'bits', new paint on the bodywork, etc. It's not going back to original in all aspects, but it's not getting a crazy hop-up list either.

Anyhow, my current question is this...

on the swingarm, there seem to be needle bearings holding a hollow bushing in the swingarm. These bearings are long gone and very much locked...how can I get that out to replace the bearings? hammer til the bearings disintegrate and let the rod out? I suppose I could source a swingarm, but I'd rather not if I can rebuild the current one.

Any info is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2007 20:47 #145378 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic KZ650 swingarm question
Welcome to the site. I'd try some heat with a torch.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
05 Jun 2007 11:09 #146544 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic KZ650 swingarm question
I have some 650 parts if you need anything let me know.

More
05 Jun 2007 16:55 #146635 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ650 swingarm question
The easiest way to get a bearing race out is to run a couple of beads across it with an arc welder, it will actually cause the race to shrink slightly.

Without access to an arc welder, it requires hammer and punch, and heat will make it easier (propane torch is a waste of time though).

KD9JUR