KZchop downtube extension for rake?

More
30 May 2007 07:03 #144831 by wendywhip
KZchop downtube extension for rake? was created by wendywhip
Ok I am trying to Prostreet and chop my kz 1000, Ive had kz's for a long time. Ive had them raked in the neck typical for drag racingbut never stretched any of the front end. While surfing on the web and looking at old metric choppers i found where some were extending the down tubes to build chops, one stretched the down tubes 3 1/2 inches and went with 12" over forks. I was not looking to go that far. i was hopeing to get mabey 8 degrees but not going over 1 1/2" in down tube stretch. Dont worry I know to sleeve the tube and to rosette weld the sleve.

My questions are has anyone done this? Any pics? how does it look cosmetically? Any issues others ran into?

Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2007 09:45 #144870 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic KZchop downtube extension for rake?
Check Frankenchop's post

More
30 May 2007 13:48 #144962 by wendywhip
Replied by wendywhip on topic KZchop downtube extension for rake?
I saw Franken chop but I dont want to go that extreme.

Do you know what his Degree of rake is?

Wendy

More
30 May 2007 19:02 #145041 by frankenchopper
Replied by frankenchopper on topic KZchop downtube extension for rake?
On the web page there's a pic showing the increase in rake angle over stock (I have a stock-framed KZ750N1, too).

I can't tell you what the true rake angle on the Frankenchopper is as it's not at road attitude yet. However, it's really simple geometry to figure out the rake angle/downtube stretch ratio is once you've measured your unmodded bike really well. I drew my stock-framed bike's basic lines in a CAD program and designed the downtube stretch from that.
Attachments:

More
30 May 2007 19:11 #145043 by frankenchopper
Replied by frankenchopper on topic KZchop downtube extension for rake?
Actually, this might work a bit better for visualization. It's about a 15 degree increase
Attachments:

More
31 May 2007 17:06 #145331 by Allshookup
Replied by Allshookup on topic KZchop downtube extension for rake?
I did about the same rake as your pictures, I also replaced the rear shocks with a set of Progressive shocks they lowered the rear end about 3".
With raking the front and lowering the rear end I didn't have to do anything to my forks! The bikes clearance is now around 5". Perfect for me I'm only 5'7"