Drive chain making me feel dumb!

More
29 May 2007 06:44 #144491 by Sixgun
Drive chain making me feel dumb! was created by Sixgun
Howdy all,

I just got a new chain and sprockets for my baby ('78 kz750) this last week. I got everything in place. I put the chain on before I put the rear axel back in place. Once I put the chain on the sprocket, I find myself about a quarter to a half inch shy of getting the axel back in.

Anyone else had this before?
The chain is a 530-106 link just like the manual says. I'm just a little off. I counted the links myself and it's 106. There's some play in the chain, but getting the axel all the way through has been a trial. The tensioners are all the way backed out and I think I have the wheel as far forward as possible. I must be missing something or if anyone has a trick or two I'd really appreciate it. I remeber it being tight the first time I changed the sprockets, but not this much.

Thanks

78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
29 May 2007 07:13 #144496 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
You didn't mention what sprocket sizes you have?

Yes, 106 is the standard.
Stock sprockets are 16/38, and I run a 17/38.
I seem to remember the stock chain barely fitting when new over the 17/38.... I could be wrong....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
29 May 2007 07:20 #144500 by Sixgun
Replied by Sixgun on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
Running the standard 16/38.

Last time I put everything together then did the chain. I remember calling it every name in the book. Thought I'd be smart and do it the other way, now the wheel is getting the name calling.

78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

More
29 May 2007 08:10 #144513 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
I just replaced the chain/sprockets on my 650 last week. You may need to put the axle in first before installing the chain.

Here's what I did. Oh, you don't mention if you have a endless chain or with a master link/clip.... mine is with a master link/clip. Well here goes anyway.

I had the rear wheel in place with the axle in, adjusters all the way out. I passed the chain over the top of the rear sprocket, then around the front sprocket, then pulled as tight as i could to get it on the bottom of the rear sprocket. I turned the wheel 1/4 revolution which put both ends on the sprocket, one link apart, and then I slid in the master link.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
29 May 2007 11:45 #144576 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
I replaced mine on a 650 last week too. There should be no reason to put the axle in before putting the chain on. I used the factory endless chain and had no problem, just put the chain over the sprocket, slid the axle through the wheel, adjusted it in and was all done.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 May 2007 12:15 #144588 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
I also have a tip for installing the rear wheel whether it’s when replacing the chain or whatever work you’re doing. If doing a chain of course loosen your adjusters up all the way first. If not replacing the chain, leave the adjusters alone and your wheel will be right where it was before disassembly. Put the chain over the sprocket, put your left side adjuster on the swingarm, if necessary squeeze it a little to make sure it stays on the swingarm. Pull your wheel all the way back until the chain it tight, kneel behind the bike with your knees directly behind the tire, grip the tire towards the top and simply roll it back and up your legs until it’s up in position to tap the axle through. It takes very little effort because your legs are doing the lifting, plus naturally the wheel is going to be as far back as it can be. Tap the axle though adding the spacers on the right side and right side adjuster as the axle goes through. Maybe this is the way everyone already does it, but I thought I’d mention it as I’ve done a lot of tires, a whole lot of them.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 May 2007 07:04 #144833 by Sixgun
Replied by Sixgun on topic Drive chain making me feel dumb!
Would it be a great crime to go 108 links on the chain? I just need about a half inch more. I haven't got a chance to fiddle with it again yet, but thanks for the suggestions.
It is pretty tight Biquetoast, even with the 16 tooth front, but I do remember it being that way the first time I changed it as well.

78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G