fork oil change

More
28 May 2007 13:22 #144287 by Booncha57
fork oil change was created by Booncha57
im going down to deal's gap tomorrow and i wanted to change my fork oil today before i left. it looks like somebody before me had a hard time taking off the fork caps, they are a little chewed. i got the front wheel off the ground and now i cant get these caps to budge. the metal seems very soft and i dont want to mess them up. do i have to take the forks off to do this job or am i doing something wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2007 14:18 #144302 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork oil change
Booncha57 wrote:

im going down to deal's gap tomorrow and i wanted to change my fork oil today before i left. it looks like somebody before me had a hard time taking off the fork caps, they are a little chewed. i got the front wheel off the ground and now i cant get these caps to budge. the metal seems very soft and i dont want to mess them up. do i have to take the forks off to do this job or am i doing something wrong?

Hoping the very fine threaded fork caps were not cross-threaded when last installed by Godzilla. :(

It is usually the soft male threads on the cap that get stripped, and not the female threads inside the steel fork tubes. If stripped, should replace the caps.

If dry ice is available, could "freeze" the cap before immediately attempting to unscrew. (Regular ice with salt might work but not be as cold).

Hope others may have better suggestions, but if brute force, pipe wrench, and all else fails, may require carefully hack-sawing caps vertically through the middle (use vacuum cleaner to constantly suck away filings and keep filings from falling inside the fork tube). Or some other destructive
method while avoiding damage to fork tubes.

Do not use any type of sealer or locking agent when re-installing the caps. The fine threads are designed to prevent leakage. It is sometimes difficult to get the cap started just right when beginning to screw it onto the fork tube. Especially where the spring must be compressed while starting the thread. Just be very careful and go slowly and deliberately. This is the maneuver where cap threads are often stripped from being improperly started.

Good luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 May 2007 16:43 #144337 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic fork oil change
Did you loosen the top tripple clamp bolts first? Otherwise they could be near impossable to get out. :pinch:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
28 May 2007 17:31 #144349 by vrdw
Replied by vrdw on topic fork oil change
I'm looking for fork tubes (stantions) to replace the pitted ones on my 1981 KZ1000J. The Js measure 38mm, can I use GPZ1100 fork tubes? or are they 37mm? any suggestions welcome.

VRDW, Canada