Rear tire rub...

More
28 May 2007 12:34 #144267 by vach
Rear tire rub... was created by vach
I just noticed this when I went to Indiana to work on my bike.. It's been parked for 8 years and I'm just figuring out some of the stuff I did to it. I put a new 130/90 on the back and I see that I guess at times it is rubbing agianst the arm that comes off of the rear brake.. Is there anty work around for that? Happy Memorial Day my peeps..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2007 14:50 #144311 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Rear tire rub...
Not being familiar with your model, but I think if it is a tubular brake stay, you could replace it with one made from flat steel 1" wide, 1/8" thick. If it is a flat piece of steel, can you space it out just enough to clear the tire?

More
28 May 2007 14:53 #144314 by vach
Replied by vach on topic Rear tire rub...
Ok, yes the one on my bike is flat. I will put a spacer on, I'm sure that will cut it thanks for the advice..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 20:58 #144426 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear tire rub...
Fossil wrote:

Not being familiar with your model, but I think if it is a tubular brake stay, you could replace it with one made from flat steel 1" wide, 1/8" thick. If it is a flat piece of steel, can you space it out just enough to clear the tire?

1/8" isnt much meat to keep that caliper from spinning if you need to lock em up;)

More
28 May 2007 21:08 #144429 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Rear tire rub...
B model 650 is a rear drum brake. I was able to just bend the metal rod on mine just a touch when I put a 130/90 tire on and I haven't had it rub yet.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 23:25 #144450 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear tire rub...
drum brake arm is under tension so it gets by with small brake arm.disc brake caliper is mounted on top putting bar under a compression load which requires bigger arm;)

More
29 May 2007 01:33 #144457 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Rear tire rub...
wireman wrote:

Fossil wrote:

1/8" isnt much meat to keep that caliper from spinning if you need to lock em up;)

Good point - you're right, it isn't much if it's under compression.

More
29 May 2007 07:32 #144504 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Rear tire rub...
are you sure you have the tire square in the swing arm? mine is close but you have to make sure the wheel is centerd

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob