GSXR Front End

More
26 May 2007 07:12 #143619 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic GSXR Front End
I used the stock KZ headlight mounts. I just cut them down the middle which lets them open up a bit. The line I cut is in the back so it can not be seen when mounted. They now slide right over my new forks but they are still strong enough that they are not going to come off. I can take some pics if you like. I have the front end apart right now because I am powdercoating everything. So far I have coated botrh handle bar controls, top triple clamp and the headlight mounts. Today I will coat the gauge buckets, headlight bucket and headlight ring.

Post edited by: kawtoy, at: 2007/05/26 10:13

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2007 09:05 #143632 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic GSXR Front End
Your project is really interesting. Looks like you are going to keep the 'cruiser' aspect...I did an inverted conversion with ZX7R front-end with ZX9R forks. Went with the 9R forks b/c they're 2.75 inches longer than the 7s. I've got the project posted up somewhere around here...probably in 'projects' under something like '1000 J project' or something.

I went with the 'J' b/c I am sport oriented; the hard tail on your project indicates the theme you are going after. The handling and performance difference is nothing but superior in all aspects...plus you get the ability to pick up sticky tread for cheap (race take-offs are next to nothing and are - again - way better than any bias ply). At the moment I have too many irons in the fire to put up pics and give detail descriptions, but I'll tell you this: with the ZX9R forks and 17s I have no problem with heat or clearence issues.

If you stay with the stock wheels you are probably going to be in trouble. First off the wheel is a 19" (compared to the gixxer 17) and the bias ply tires have a way taller profile than the radials. Those two factors get your hard parts way closer together than I think you are going to want them to be.

Unless you decide to go with 17s and radials the most mechanically sound solution will probably be sending the slider tubes to 'Forks by Frank' to get some length and creat space between the tire and the exhaust. Just my 2 pennies.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
27 May 2007 14:15 #144006 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic GSXR Front End
shaftie1100 wrote:

Damnit!

I wish I had thought of that... What a great idea... My custom brackets end up costing me $90.00 after S&H. What did the Buell ones run? Can you show us a pic? I'll post my Aztec 8's on Tuesday.

Pic of my Buell headlight brackets

More
27 May 2007 14:16 #144007 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic GSXR Front End
shaftie1100 wrote:

Damnit!

I wish I had thought of that... What a great idea... My custom brackets end up costing me $90.00 after S&H. What did the Buell ones run? Can you show us a pic? I'll post my Aztec 8's on Tuesday.

Pic of my Buell headlight brackets
Attachments:

More
14 Jun 2007 06:58 #149274 by shaftie1100
Replied by shaftie1100 on topic GSXR Front End
here's mine...
Attachments:

More
14 Jun 2007 07:00 #149277 by shaftie1100
here's mine...
Attachments:

• Faughn
  • User
  • Don't drink the Kool-aid!
More
14 Jun 2007 09:04 #149308 by Faughn
Replied by Faughn on topic GSXR Front End
Shaftie, what year front end is that?

More
15 Jun 2007 08:20 #149626 by shaftie1100
It's from a 91' GSXR 1100.

This is the best year IMO for a swap. You only lose 1.5-2" on the tubes... I lost another 2" on the smaller rim diameter, but the updated sport rim looks so much better that it's worth it.

My stick handles great now, but I do need a 1" shorter, stiffer rear shock set up to even things out. I can't lose more than 1" though, or I'll be dragging my pipes on the ground when I turn.