GSXR Front End

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2007 20:37 #142628 by Kellen79_650
GSXR Front End was created by Kellen79_650
Well, I finally got my GSXR front end. It looks like I should be able to use pretty much everything even the stem and just do new bearings that fit. I know there are those of you who have done the same thing, what is your experience with the swap?

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2007 21:01 #142634 by budzilla
Replied by budzilla on topic GSXR Front End
I'm really interested in hearing about this as well. Hopefully someone will chime in....

More
22 May 2007 21:01 #142635 by budzilla
I'm really interested in hearing about this as well. Hopefully someone will chime in....

More
22 May 2007 21:01 #142636 by budzilla

More
24 May 2007 10:21 #143109 by shaftie1100
Replied by shaftie1100 on topic GSXR Front End
Hello,

I just finished doing a 91 GSXR 1100 swap onto my 83' kz1100-L. I used the gsxr front rim and calipers as well. Mine is working out great, but sits approx 3" lower in front (mostly due to the smaller wheel size).

I noticed that you are using a more modern GSXR fork... Mine is USD as well, but if yours are from a newer bike, then they will be significantly shorter. You will probably notice a huge difference, even with the stock wheel up front.

I ended up using a stem from an older suzuki GS series bike. The stem off of the GS is the right length and diameter, and easily press-fits into the lower triple.

The hardest part was finding a set of headlight brackets that would work. I went through 5 different "universal" sets before I gave up and bought a custom set from aztec 8 racing in AZ.

Sorry, I can't post pics of my ride right now... My front rim is off getting powder coated and a new tire. I will post as soon as she's road-worthy again. I only do glamour shots when healthy :)

More
24 May 2007 11:37 #143132 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic GSXR Front End
you sure it's not just a little bit too compact in there?

The exhaust and fender will clear, right?

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
24 May 2007 13:09 #143158 by shaftie1100
Hey, good point...

With the new front end, you will need to pick up a tire with less height to clear the exhaust pipes. You do NOT want to be burning up your rubber against the hot steel exhaust.

You will probably need to modify the rear of the front fender as well. Just make sure that you can fully clear all parts with rubbing, and take into consideration what will happen when the fork is compressed / extended as well.

OR, you could do what I did, and use the front GSXR wheel coupled with the gsxr speedo cable/drive.

More
24 May 2007 19:12 #143246 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic GSXR Front End
Kellen79_650 wrote:

Well, I finally got my GSXR front end. It looks like I should be able to use pretty much everything even the stem and just do new bearings that fit. I know there are those of you who have done the same thing, what is your experience with the swap?

I found the GSXR stem could not be used, couldn't find an upper bearing to fit, and the Suzuki stem is too short. I drove out the GSXR stem and used it as a pattern to build up a KZ1100 stem with weld and have it machined to match the suzuki and driven into the lower clamp. The top part of the GSXR stem was machined as a sleeve to fit the Kawasaki stem to the upper triple clamp. I'm using stock Kawasaki tapered roller bearings.
If the pipes are too close, wrap them to cut down on heat.

More
24 May 2007 20:05 #143265 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic GSXR Front End
I used the FZR front end and I was able to use the KZ stem. I just cut the weld, pressed out the stem and welded it into the FZR tripple tree. The FZR stem was the perfect height but I could not find any bearings to fit it.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
25 May 2007 08:36 #143380 by Fossil
shaftie1100 wrote:

Hello,

I just finished doing a 91 GSXR 1100 swap onto my 83' kz1100-L. I used the gsxr front rim and calipers as well. Mine is working out great, but sits approx 3" lower in front (mostly due to the smaller wheel size).

I noticed that you are using a more modern GSXR fork... Mine is USD as well, but if yours are from a newer bike, then they will be significantly shorter. You will probably notice a huge difference, even with the stock wheel up front.

I ended up using a stem from an older suzuki GS series bike. The stem off of the GS is the right length and diameter, and easily press-fits into the lower triple.

The hardest part was finding a set of headlight brackets that would work. I went through 5 different "universal" sets before I gave up and bought a custom set from aztec 8 racing in AZ.

Sorry, I can't post pics of my ride right now... My front rim is off getting powder coated and a new tire. I will post as soon as she's road-worthy again. I only do glamour shots when healthy :)

Later Buell headlight brackets are 54mm and fit my front end.

More
25 May 2007 13:24 #143463 by shaftie1100
Damnit!

I wish I had thought of that... What a great idea... My custom brackets end up costing me $90.00 after S&H. What did the Buell ones run? Can you show us a pic? I'll post my Aztec 8's on Tuesday.

More
25 May 2007 14:00 #143473 by Fossil
I bought mine off ebay, less than $50 including shipping. I'll try and get a pic up of the progress in the projects section soon