Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions

More
22 May 2007 03:52 #142325 by AR15Ron
Ok, u prolly read I picked up a Ninja zx-6 really cheap. The chain and sprockets are totally worn out. I am putting this in chassis since this is kind of a general gear ratio and chain question and should apply to KZ's too.
So I looked for a set of chain and sprockets, I have 3 choices. Stock 530 chain and stock steel sprockets. 520 chain with one tooth smaller front sprocket, aluminum rear sprocket of stock size. Or 520 chain with one size smaller front sprocket, 3 teeth larger rear sprocket, aluminum rear sprocket.

I'm tempted to go for the last option, but I have never even driven the bike. Do you think that is just too drastic a ratio change from stock? I went 4 teeth larger on my KZ-1000 and LOVE it. Should I play it safe and go one tooth down in front, or go all out? Or should I keep it stock and get the steel sprockets? I have no experience with aluminum sprockets, I know they make them for my KZ but I always avoided them thinking they would probably wear out quickly. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2007 05:36 #142340 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
since you have not rode the bike I would put the stock set up back on it, if you dont like it then change the front to a smaller one,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
22 May 2007 06:06 #142346 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
I'd go at least one tooth down on the countershaft. I'm currently running that set up on my TLR. On the 600 you'll find yourself shifting alot more in traffic with the stock gearing, it just to high. You could probably go one down in the front and two up in the rear if you wanted to. I think 4 up in the rear on the zx may be a little much, but its been awhile since I had a 600. Its a matter of acceleration over top end. Your going to lose top end but get up there quicker.

Aluminum is going to wear quicker, but they are lighter which will lessen your rotational mass on the rear and theoretically make it turn in easier, but honestly I'm not sure how much it actually helps. The 600 not a super torque-y bike so its probably not going to tear up the aluminum as bad as a larger displacement bike.

If you want the weight savings you can go with aluminum carriers with steel teeth, but they are considerably more expensive than the steel sprockets. Also going from the 530 to the 520 will drop some weight, and honestly chains are much better now than years ago and you'll probably get a stronger 520 set up than the 530 set up from a kz.

More
22 May 2007 06:54 #142356 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
Thanks for the replies. Here's the 3 options they have for this bike. I'm sure some other distrbuter could give me other options but I just want to order this stuff online and get it done. Maybe I should call Z-1? I know it says they don't carry parts for this bike, but they do up until 1989 so maybe they have chains and sprockets that would work and give me different options for gearing... I always try to get as much through Jeff as I can anyway.
So here's the link to whatever online store I found:
Link to chain and sprockets

More
22 May 2007 07:43 #142370 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
One down on the front and four up on the rear is going to be stupid quick on the bottom end. I had an FZR600R that I had geared two down on front and three up on rear and I could never keep the front end down when I grabbed the throttle more than half open (of course I only weighed about 130 lbs at the time, so that may have contributed a bit). So, if you want stupid quick accelleration, go with the radical sprockets. But going from a KZ, that zx6 is going to be suprisingly fast anyway, so you may just want to go stock or one tooth down on the countershaft. IMHO.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 May 2007 08:05 #142380 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
1 tooth on the front is about 2.5 at the rear.hope this helps

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 May 2007 08:12 #142381 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
those bikes are already fast enough!go stock gearing with 530 chain and 520 sprockets.i run like 16/40 on my z's runs out around 125,but ya get there pretty damn quick;)

More
22 May 2007 08:30 #142390 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
1 down on the front would be a great starting point. if you get used to that and want more, get the bigger back one then

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
22 May 2007 11:58 #142462 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Changing sprockets, non-KZ need opinions
Welp I ordered the one that keeps the rear ratio stock and down one tooth in the front, as advised. Thanks again for the responses! I did drive it down the street and back with the scary chain slack, got it running good enough to do that much. I think I will like it, $300 well spent I hope <G>. No wheelies yet, afraid that chain is gonna stop rolling ;)