Changing a valve stem

More
22 May 2007 00:14 #142305 by AR15Ron
Changing a valve stem was created by AR15Ron
Is it possible to change the valve stem without taking the tire off? I don't know where I should bring the thing... or if I should try and buy one and do it myself. I determined I do not have tubes, should I, I dunno but I don't :) So the valve stem is leaking, it has nuts on it, I have no idea if a standard car one would work or if I need to find one that has nuts holding it to the wheel. Any helpful information is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
22 May 2007 03:28 #142323 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Changing a valve stem
If it is leaking through the fill hole, you can replace the valve. Tool costs a buck or two and a pack of half doz valves is the same.

If it's leaking aroud the hole in the rim or the stem has a hole in it, you'll have to take the tire off.

NAPA sells those metal stems. Took me half a day to find out. Measure the hole in your rim to get the correct size.

Suggest that you clean rim and tire bead really well before putting it back together or you'll have a new leak.

-Duck

More
22 May 2007 03:44 #142324 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Changing a valve stem
Thanks! It will be days before I can get to NAPA but I guess I'll try to change it myself. Yeah, it's leaking out of the hole under the nut. It's slow but obviously I can't trust my life on it until it's fixed :)