air bags?

More
21 May 2007 18:17 #142162 by badboie
air bags? was created by badboie
I was wondering if it would be possible to mount an airbag to my swingarm. My idea and my dad gave me this idea... was to mount it where you would find a monoshock on other swingarms. I would weld on some mounting brackets to the swingarm, and some to the frame and it should work right? Has anyone ever thought about this? Or done it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2007 18:26 #142166 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic air bags?
If You're talking about an airbag for suspension on a truck(pick-up),then I don't think You'd be happy with it.(or safe,but not sure).Don't think it would be sensitive enough for quick response when You REALLY need it.OR...it could bounce You off the bike!:pinch:
I've never thought about that actually.:huh: :whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
21 May 2007 18:59 #142186 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic air bags?
I really dont know much about airbags but I dint think the type off a truck/car would work persay but it would be the same theory. I belive the they make airbags for custom choppers and harley soft tails, dont know what else they make them for... My idea came to me because my dadsaid something to me about the way I was going to do my custom exhaust and he noticed that the muffler I got stuck out to far because of my side mounted shocks. I dont want to spend the time doing a mono shock swingarm convertion because I want to ride my bike at lease one day while we have good weather. So I thought about this.

More
21 May 2007 20:00 #142230 by steell
Replied by steell on topic air bags?
Air bag is just a spring, so you are still going to need at least one shock.

I don't think I would try and reinvent the wheel, I'd just go with either a monoshock, or twinshocks.

KD9JUR

More
21 May 2007 20:24 #142240 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic air bags?
badboie wrote:

I was wondering if it would be possible to mount an airbag.......... Has anyone ever thought about this? Or done it?

:sick:
Attachments:

More
21 May 2007 21:43 #142273 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic air bags?
I remember once on one of the "custom" chopper shows one of the guys did an air bag like that and when he parked the bike he could lower the bag and the bike squatted down and rested on the frame so he didn't need a side stand. Then when he started the bike the air pump pumped it back up. I thought it was a cool idea at the time,,, :laugh: :laugh:

On one of the milk trucks I used to drive the tag axles were raised with a small 3 step bag that was like a pancake when it didn't have any air in it, and it had a taller 1 chamber bag that did the actual weight holding when the axle was down. I think goodyear made the bags.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/05/22 00:53

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
21 May 2007 21:57 #142281 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic air bags?
Here is a website on the bags:

Air Bags

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/05/22 00:58

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
22 May 2007 13:10 #142494 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic air bags?
You can the chopper guys use it all the time on bikes.

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

More
22 May 2007 20:34 #142627 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic air bags?
it can be done, but dont do it to a swingarm that was designed for use with dual shocks mounted in the back. a monoshock swingarm is designed to take the extra abuse/leverage. pick one up from a wrecked ninja cheap and go at it. but i think it would be easier to just use the whole monoshock setup from a newer bike

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH