handling questions

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
18 May 2007 07:12 #141217 by riverroad
handling questions was created by riverroad
Although I think the world of my bike, I can't help but think it could handle better than it does. When I get up into hyper speed (way above 85mph) and I hit a little bump or something, I'll get a little wobble which goes away by itself. I can't tell whether it originates at the front or the back wheel. My steering neck and swingarm bearings had no perceptable play in them when I had my bike apart last winter, so I don't think its because of anything like that. I'm suspecting that maybe its just frame flex. Do you guys experience the same thing with your bikes? Any fixes available without welding up my frame? I'm not in the mood to take my bike apart right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2007 07:21 #141219 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic handling questions
I wouldn't think these frames would flex that much. Did you check your swingarm for side to side play? When I go at such speeds I have a wobble but thats just the wind, the wind here in Colorado gets crazy on the highway.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
18 May 2007 07:32 #141225 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic handling questions
Yeah, I checked my swingarm for side to side play, torsional play, fwd and aft play throughout its range of motion and it all felt solid. Same with the front end, nice and tight. But like I said, it only happens briefly and it goes away (like one or two little oscillations), unlike my old Honda 750F that would wobble like crazy and make me pull back hard on the bars to get it to stop wobbling. It doesn't bother me that much, but I was just wondering if anybody else feels the same thing and what they might've possibly done to fix it.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 May 2007 07:35 #141228 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic handling questions
I'd suggest checking for the following:

Wheel and swingarm bearings for damage or wear.
Rear wheel for proper alignment.
Tires for un-even wear and/or cuping and have adequate air pressure.
Inner fork springs measure equally in length and forks have the required amount of fork oil in each tube.
Fork tubes are equally aligned in the fork trees.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
18 May 2007 07:52 #141243 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic handling questions
No that's not normal. I suggest that you remove the swing arm and replace the bushings or bearings. My KZ900 used to shake it's head when leaned over in turns if I would hit any kind of bump. It took me two years to discover that the stock bushings were worn out.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
18 May 2007 08:22 #141256 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic handling questions
Could also be steering head bearing dented, worn, or just too tight. Best way I've found to check for dents is to put it on the center stand, then slightly over tighten bearing and move handlebars slowly back and forth, you'll feel the dents if they're there. Be sure and adjust the bearing again when your done checking.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
18 May 2007 09:21 #141273 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic handling questions
It could also be as simple as incorrect tire pressure.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
18 May 2007 10:01 #141287 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic handling questions
Well I did checked the front end for rough feeling bearings, but it didn't slightly over tighten them. Maybe that would make a difference. But first, I'll check my tire pressures. In all honesty, I haven't even checked them for a while except for giving them a squeeze before I ride. But as far as my swingarm, there isn't the slightest bit of play in it. Now I haven't checked it with a dial indicator on it, but I've been doing aerospace machinist work for thirty years and I do know what worn bushings and bearings feel like.
And I've never taken the forks apart yet either, so the oil and springs may be suspect. At any rate, it only happens when I'm doing WAY over the speed limit, and I hit a bump. Otherwise it's smooth as silk. My speedo only goes up to 85mph though, so I couldn't guesstimate how fast it's going when it does it.
Come to think of it, I've seen those superbikes on the speed channel do the same thing. They'll come out of a hard turn and nail it and I'll see their bikes wobble just a little bit, just like mine does. Maybe it has to do with harmonics and the gyroscope effect of the tires?

More
18 May 2007 10:52 #141306 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic handling questions
Would also assure tires balanced and both rear shocks are okay. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2007 10:57 #141308 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic handling questions
If not already done, would also consider going to tapered bearing in steering head. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 May 2007 10:57 #141309 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic handling questions
Patton wrote:

Would also assure tires balanced and both rear shocks are okay. :)

Very good point!

It could be something as simple as the rear shocks either being adjusted at diff settings (ex: left set at #3 and right set at #5), the mounting bushings being worn/missing or the mounting nut being loose/missing.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ