front fork seal

More
14 May 2007 14:55 #139973 by arswagger
front fork seal was created by arswagger
Hi all. Got to love these old bikes, fix one thing and a couple days later the next thing breaks. I did some searching and couldn't find anything describing the procedure for replacing the front fork seal on my bike. I have a '82 KZ550 LTD. Also is it a good idea to replace both since i have it apart? Also I was wondering how hard it is to replace the fork springs and if there was a specific brand or type to get. And I also thought about the rear shocks, I heard progressive was good but they seem expensive, are they really that great? but then again why is bikebandit so expensive? they cost 592 for rear shocks? Is it just cause they can get just about anything?:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2007 16:10 #139988 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic front fork seal
ok , i have the same bike and i just went through the front forks, step1: drain fluid from fork by removing bolt and brass washer on bottom side of fork that faces towards rear of bike,remove forks from bike step2: remove wiper (dust) seal, underneath that there will be a circlip, remove it, use a pick or small flat screw driver. next use a 6 or 8mm allen wrench, remove the bolt that is reccessed in the bottom of the lower fork tube,bolt should have a crush washer with it, sometimes this can be a little tough to remove, due to people using the wrong size ect.,will come out easier if you use a socket allen, put in bolt and wack it with a hammer. Once the bolt is removed grab the bottom tube with one hand and the upper tube with the other and like a slide hammer drive them apart, then use a solvent tank and brake clean to flush out the bottom tube, there will be a tapered alum. piece that probbably will stay in the botton tube carefull not to lose it, check the bushings to be sure the still have babbot material left on them,reverse for assembly, a fork seal driver is a good thing for reassembly, but you can use a piece of pipe or a small drift punch if you are very carefullbefore you put the reccesse3d bolt back in turn fork upside down and use a ratio rite to pour in appropraite fork oil,fork oil capacity is just under 300 cc a quart of oil is just over 900cc, do your forks have a shcrader valve(valve stem) on the top ,if they do air pressure should be 6 to 10 psi. use a bicycle pump not an air compressor, I dont think you should need to replace the spring when you are done, but if you do then you can do it on the bike after reassembly it makes compressing it easier

More
14 May 2007 17:05 - 03 Dec 2008 11:00 #139998 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:00 by JMKZHI.