Mag wheel corrosion

More
14 May 2007 09:39 #139892 by old650
Mag wheel corrosion was created by old650
I offered a guy $200 for a 650 sitting in the junk area of his boat engine repair yard. He told me that he had $400 into that bike from an old deal for a boat motor or something. Anyway... The bike is all there except for one missing side cover. The engine has 2,941 km ! but is locked up. He says that the bike ran when he got it, but it has been sitting in his back junk area for years. He said that it's probaby just the rings and that a good soaking with diesel should free the engine. The plugs are all still in the head so it's sealed. To the point though, can the old aluminum mag wheels be wire wheeled up to remove the corrosion/ozidation from sitting outside for years? They look pretty scruffy. Are old mags beaten up by the weather salvagable as long as they aren't chipped/cracked ? Are they pretty tough ? How touchy are they ?

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/05/14 12:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2007 09:59 #139900 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Mag wheel corrosion
you didnt say if you were going to by it or not, for parts only?
the mags can be cleaned, I saw some alum cleaner at the yamaha dealer, the guy in the parts dept said it was great stuff,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
14 May 2007 11:26 #139917 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Mag wheel corrosion
Don't use a wire wheel. Well at least that wouldn't be what I prefer. I would use a piece of steel wool, usually I think 000, not sure but the one with just 0's. On my 1000 I used steel wool and some denatured alcohol or you can go for what BSK suggested.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
14 May 2007 12:01 #139926 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Mag wheel corrosion
If you're talking the bead area, electric or air 'medium' wire brush, sand out and deep pits or groves that traverse the bead area with 80 grit, and sand around circumference with 120 grit until all 80 grit and wire brush marks are gone. Tubeless will seal fine after this treatment. Use 'tire ease' or other non-caustic mounting aid. If you use soap or detergent, you'll have a mess in a few years.

Outside? Beadblast and paint or just leave it alone. What's an old bike without patina?

More
15 May 2007 09:34 #140263 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Mag wheel corrosion
Thanks guys, good information .....as always. I'm unsure if 1. The owner will sell at what I consider a reasonable offer and 2. I'm unsure about using the bike for parts as I already have one parted out in my shed. The thoughts of freeing up that engine with such incredibly low mileage on it (if this is the original gage set), is VERY intriguing however. It would be a jack pot just to have a barely broken in engine sitting around as a spare. My broken up spare bike also has wire wheels, which are cool, but I also want some mags. I'm not in a rush and I told him that I'd give him time to think the offer over. I'm just doing a mental evaluation of usable parts, and there are many, on this extremely neglected old Kaw.

More
17 May 2007 23:16 #141155 by kzbikeman
Replied by kzbikeman on topic Mag wheel corrosion
I freed my old 76 with auto trans oil. I had someone recommend it instead of diesel because the diesel strips all lube from the walls when the piston begins to move. I still have serviceable compression!

I am stripping and painting a rear wheel for my 81 this week. Mag wheels generally have less maintenance than a wire wheel (IMHO). I use triple 0 steel wool and Mothers to polish the shiny spots. Will still need a liberal dose of elbow grease to finish. Oh yeah, and a can or two of satin black case paint!

More
17 May 2007 23:27 #141158 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Mag wheel corrosion
You could also, consider powder coating the mags and doing a polished lip. That would be sweet.

I would tell the guy you don't care what he has into the bike. Give him your offer with cash in hand and see what he says. People like seeing the green. :) Oh, and probably disregard the part about telling him you don't care what he has in the bike. Haa

Sounds like a fun project.

Good luck.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2007/05/18 02:28

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 May 2007 07:55 #141244 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Mag wheel corrosion
I used a medium and then a fine cup brush for the wheels on my ZN, followed with a little polishing using some Nevr-Dull, and then rattle-canned the "spokes" with a semi-gloss black enamel.
It was pretty quick and easy to do, and IMHO they came out great!

Harbor Freight has these cup brushes available in varying grits, they are fairly inexpensive, and if you take your time they won't leave brush marks like wire cup brushes tend to do.

2" SHAFT MOUNT CUP BRUSH, 80 GRIT

B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/05/18 10:56

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ