unusual braking issue

More
08 May 2007 18:04 #138354 by Shaolinwind
unusual braking issue was created by Shaolinwind
The front brake on my 1982 Kawasaki 750 CSR M1 is doing something unusual. In fact, a mechanic of 30+ years says he's never seen this before. If I am too gentle when pulling the brake lever, it softly pulls in to the hand grip and doesn't apply the brake. If I tug just a little more firmly, it works just like a normal brake.. What's going on here?

Post edited by: Shaolinwind, at: 2007/05/08 21:05

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2007 18:11 #138355 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic unusual braking issue
Master cylinder needs a rebuild,or You need to bleed the whole brake system.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 18:13 #138356 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic unusual braking issue
what sandy said;)

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
08 May 2007 19:03 #138371 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic unusual braking issue
Hmmm...
Not sure I'd trust a mechanic who'd never seen that before. Your master cylinder seal leaks just a little. So when you pull hard, it doesn't leak as much as your piston travel displaces, so you have hydraulic pressure going to your brake cylinder. But when you pull lightly, you're only asking the piston to displace as much hydraulic fluid as your leaking seal allows to pass. No extra pressure for the brake. The warning for you is this: you're just one good hard squeeze away from your master cylinder seal completely giving up, and then it won't matter how much you squeeze, there won't be any brake. Get it rebuilt NOW. Your bike has given you all the warning you will get.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
08 May 2007 21:39 #138424 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic unusual braking issue
pstrbrc wrote:

Hmmm...
Not sure I'd trust a mechanic who'd never seen that before. Your master cylinder seal leaks just a little. So when you pull hard, it doesn't leak as much as your piston travel displaces, so you have hydraulic pressure going to your brake cylinder. But when you pull lightly, you're only asking the piston to displace as much hydraulic fluid as your leaking seal allows to pass. No extra pressure for the brake. The warning for you is this: you're just one good hard squeeze away from your master cylinder seal completely giving up, and then it won't matter how much you squeeze, there won't be any brake. Get it rebuilt NOW. Your bike has given you all the warning you will get.

EXACTLY!;)

I thought about that too,after I re-read the post a while later...what Mechanic wouldn't recognize those symptoms??:huh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 May 2007 22:44 #138431 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic unusual braking issue
Dont dodle on this 1 pal.This is not safe.Please be carefull.

Post edited by: mark1122, at: 2007/05/09 01:45

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)