Tire Chunking and Duro Tires

More
03 May 2007 18:55 #136917 by CBerryment
Tire Chunking and Duro Tires was created by CBerryment
Hi folks,

Just ordered a new rear tire-Duro brand for my 77 750 twin.

I read something after I ordered it about 'chunking'... What is chunking? Any opinions on Duro tires? atleast it will get me through the inspection...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
06 May 2007 11:52 #137588 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Tire Chunking and Duro Tires
Cberryment:
We sell all kinds of tires at the shop where I work.
Although I, personally, have never used Duro (or any other low-rent tires) on any bike I've ever owned, I've gotten to see almost every tire brand come into our shop on various bikes at one time or another.
IMO, Duros are one small step up from Cheng Shins which are truly bottom-of-the-barrel tires. About the only good thing you can say about either of those brands is that they're black, kinda round and hold your rims off the ground....most times.
Your 750 twin only makes about 50HP stock so is not too hard on tires, assuming you've not overloaded it with fairing, bags, etc., so the Duro will work okay BUT.... don't expect to get any kind of decent mileage from it and you should NOT make any kind of serious demands on its very limited handling and/or braking capabilities. I don't know what kind of riding you do so be very careful until you've explored the limited capabilities of the Duro thoroughly.
Again, IMO, the MINIMUM quality of tire that anyone should use on any pre 1983 bike that was originally equipped with bias-ply tires is Bridgestone Spitfires or their equivalents in Dunlop, Michelin, Metzeler, Conti, etc. IOW, stick to major tire manufacturers and you can't go wrong. You pay a few extra bux up front but you get them back on increased mileage and FAR better handling.
Remember, it's YOUR butt that will be sliding down the road because you've decided to save a few bux on tires.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.