1982 kz1000 ltd brake master cylinder - 230 bucks?

• fierostetz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'm RAD
More
30 Apr 2007 19:36 #135828 by fierostetz
we ordered one new and it's 230 bucks and takes several weeks to get here. is there a faster/cheaper way to get one in good condition? we went to the awesome motorcycle junkyard in san marcos, CA but they had none... any ideas? doesn't have to be new, just needs to *NOT* lock up while I am trying to learn to ride the bike. thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Apr 2007 19:39 #135831 by wireman
id graft one from a differant bike on there!look on ebay ;)

• fierostetz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'm RAD
More
30 Apr 2007 19:43 #135832 by fierostetz
dude you are QUICK on that keyboard! :) i'm gonna measure the angle and see if I can figure out a way to make this work- it's my first bike so I am trying to stay OEM - i want to make sure everything works right before getting creative; once I know more about the bike I can start to mess around... i am going to go out on a limb and assume that the brake master cylinder from a different displacement LTD is not the same...

for now, to Ebay I go!

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Apr 2007 19:57 #135837 by wireman
im guessing yours has a 5/8 bore which is normal for dual disc brakes.check classified section on here theres usually something listed on there;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/04/30 22:57

More
30 Apr 2007 20:26 #135854 by duncan
my front brake was sticking, and it turned out to be the brake lever was just sticking on a build up of grundge. a bit of brake fluid dissolved some black paint which ran into the brake lever and then rehardened and caused the lever to stick. i just removed the brake lever, cleaned off the grundge, and put it back together....works fine

i had bought a master cylinder rebuild kit but never had to use it.

More
01 May 2007 03:28 #135909 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic 1982 kz1000 ltd brake master cylinder - 230 bucks?
Try usa-motorcycles-inc on ebay. I got a brand new m/c for $40. It's not the factory one but for that price who cares.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
01 May 2007 05:22 #135929 by Muddy
For my cafe project I'm switching to a sportbike type master cylinder. I'm selling the entire front braking system from the bike now on ebay ( eBay Link ) I think the whole system is only going for like $5 right now.

The calipers from the leading axle forks won't fit older style axle at the bottom forks.

The MC is a bit rough looking, it looks like the previous owner spilled brake fluid on it and didn't wipe anything up. But for the couple days I rode the bike, functionally it was fine.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/05/01 09:36

More
01 May 2007 05:25 #135930 by Muddy
duncan wrote:

my front brake was sticking, and it turned out to be the brake lever was just sticking on a build up of grundge. a bit of brake fluid dissolved some black paint which ran into the brake lever and then rehardened and caused the lever to stick. i just removed the brake lever, cleaned off the grundge, and put it back together....works fine

i had bought a master cylinder rebuild kit but never had to use it.

I'd try cleaning it also before buying new one. I've had the brakes feel terrible because the lever pivot was all rusted and dry, pulled the lever out cleaned it up and a little WD40 felt like new again

• fierostetz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'm RAD
More
01 May 2007 11:10 #136085 by fierostetz
the inside of the bore was totally trashed - the previous owner let water get into the system, everything had been replaced except the MC. checking ebay out. will a MC for a non LTD work?

More
01 May 2007 11:42 #136105 by kzrider
The early J model M/C is probably the worst part ever to come out of a Kawasaki factory. In my opinion that is. The GpZ and J3 ones are far better, but your problem is the way the LTD M/C is made to fit the handlebar. If you fit a later GpZ or J3 M/C it will not be level. I have thrown away the old apehangers my LTD came with and I'm very happy with my later J style M/C.

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

More
01 May 2007 11:51 #136114 by kzrider
Ebay link

These are way better than the K1, K2, M1, M2, J1, and J2 ones are. These were also used on the ELR.

Post edited by: kzrider, at: 2007/05/01 14:52

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

More
01 May 2007 12:03 #136121 by kzwolfsr
While we are in that area, Stein, my bike like yours, I tried to take of the cover to the reservoir and one of the screws got stripped. Any suggestions? As to Fiero, the CSR's and other year models like mine and your bike are possible replacements. If you can't find any Check this place out www.steelescycle.com

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean