Steering Probs.

More
30 Apr 2007 17:14 #135739 by 13thlevel
Steering Probs. was created by 13thlevel
When I get to a certain speed the handlebars start to wobble. Also, when I go over a bump, I hear a "clunk" in the steering area. Is it easy to tighten the steering or do I have to have the "hook spanner" thing :) Do I possibly need to rebuild the steering area

:)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2007 17:32 #135748 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Steering Probs.
what are the condition of the shocks?
also put the bike on the center stand and sit on it pull back and see if you have any play ine the bearings

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
30 Apr 2007 17:42 #135756 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Steering Probs.
13thlevel wrote:

When I get to a certain speed the handlebars start to wobble. Also, when I go over a bump, I hear a "clunk" in the steering area. Is it easy to tighten the steering or do I have to have the "hook spanner" thing :) Do I possibly need to rebuild the steering area

:)

It's ever so much easier than learning to run an electric wheel chair. The spanners cost less than a pizza and a pitcher of beer. If it doesn't feel smooth when turned from side to side after you tightened, then the bearings are shot. They are cheap. If bike has been parked outdoors for much of it's life, you should repack ALL bearings anyway.

More
30 Apr 2007 19:16 #135816 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Steering Probs.
Wheel bearings...steering-stem bearings...the caps on the bottom of the forks that torque onto the front wheel axle...are they tight,and when You DO tighten them,make sure that the "Gap" is in the back-side of the fork.
Is the brake caliper tight on the bracket that mounts to the fork?
Not that a low tire will create a "Clunk" but make sure it has the proper amount of air in it.
Pretty sure that it'll be steering bearings,like mentioned,but You should look at the whole package to be sure it's all good.

1977 KZ1000 A-1