Replacing a tire on an 82 CSR 750 M1

More
27 Apr 2007 22:25 #134916 by Shaolinwind
Replacing a tire on an 82 CSR 750 M1 was created by Shaolinwind
I went to have a new 130/90/16 tire mounted on my rear spoke wheel today. He couldn't finish the job due to a rim lock corroded to powder.

I'm not entirely sure rim locks are necessary.. Without them a hard braking would probably shift the tube and break the valve stem, right?

Also, are they out of line attempting to charge me 60 bucks for a single 3.0" rim lock?

Anyhow, I'm having quite a time finding 3.0 rim locks.. Will 2.75 cut the mustard? The good remaining rim lock actually measures 3.5, and the rims are 3" wide.. It seems to me that since all it does is hold the tube in place, a half inch shouldn't matter much... But it IS my tires on the line here and as I80 taught me, accidents are bad for your skin. So, I'm hoping to get unbiased expert advice from someone who doesn't want my money.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2007 05:16 #134933 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Replacing a tire on an 82 CSR 750 M1
The rim lock actually locks the tire to the rim, not the tube.
Kawasaki Part Number 41024-1004, $51.41 plus shipping at ronayers.com.

Some tube type rear wheels have them, and some don't, that ought to tell you something :)

Personally, I'd consider just putting a short carriage bolt (smooth round head) in there to block the holes, you would have to do it to both of them on the wheel, otherwise it is going to be seriously out of balance.

The bike shop may not want to do that though, so you may have to install the tire yourself.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/28 08:23

KD9JUR

More
28 Apr 2007 16:00 #135031 by Shaolinwind
Replied by Shaolinwind on topic Replacing a tire on an 82 CSR 750 M1
You're right, they didn't want to do it. I took it to a different shop.. I feel as though I've been messed with by the first mechanic to be honest.

Thanks!